Skip to main content

Well WB, I sent some emails, hadn't heard back, so decided to throw it on the web for the Forum Gang to drool over your photos.

Here is the FIRST version of your report.

I'm throwing it out there for all to see how much fun you had.

I didn't get fancy with the HTML. Just created a few pages. I tested them this evening and the only problem is when you click on the photos in the stories, you have to <- back hit the back button to get back to the previous page. And I could think of about 14 improvements, but I know you ALL have been waiting for the report.

Click on this link and enjoy:

Woodburners BBQ Trip Report with Photos

I'm just the editor here. Give ALL THE CREDIT TO WB --- awesome story and photos.

Smokin'
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the report and all the great pictures!!! Great to see such variety of smokers. Funny, though, I'll bet half of them wouldn't even be allowed to be in business in the area I live --- Philly area.

Almost no township allows concession trailers, and especially one that would have smokers like some of those photos. Makes it very hard to start the business I would like to. Maybe if I showed them some of these pics.....

Much appreciated gentlemen!
Thanks guys, I really enjoyed reading your report. I am a long time resident of Lockhart and have had the great fortune of eating BBQ on a weekly (and at times daily) basis. While I am not one of the local pros, I know all of them very well and respect their knowledge and hard work. I agree with all of your conclusions of the surrounding BBQ joints, but take just a a little good-humored offense at the term "broken-down town". Razzer Hope you enjoyed your trip to BBQ heaven! Big Grin
Say there, Mr. Lockhart!! SORRY about the characterization of your town Eeker
I am ashamed...

But then, I do consider Lockhart the BBQ Capital of the World, and intend to emulate some of the practices of those joints in my own place, so... imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?

As for the pits, there are Cookshacks and other enclosed woodburning brands that carry NSF certification and I believe can be used in cities (albeit with scrubers for outside smoke if it creates a nusiance). Of course, some of them big Texas pits would never gain approvals anywhere but Texas Big Grin

Thanks Smokin for getting it all put up there... it works great just as it is. Much appreciated.

If anyone wants to talk about particular places or anything, just holler.

Next up: North Carolina.
hey there, tjr. I can confirm any locations that you need. The C&K, in fact, was the second you saw, on Jennings Sta. Rd. It is C&K #3. I asked the guy what happened to #s 1 and 2. He told me that they closed when the owners died.

And I also believe that Fat Matt's is closed. I found that address and it was nuthin but a burned out old bldg. I think the great web story you found on them was from 1999.
Woodburner,
I was looking at the group of photos from Texas and there was a small red building called "Chubby's"......this looks alot like the "Chubby's" that is off of the interstate between Memphis and St.Louis in Hayti, Mo.
Is it a picture of that same place? (I thought it might have gotten included with the Texas photos because there wasn't a write-up about it on the Texas page.
If it is , I would like to know what you thought of it.
I only live about 30 min. away from Hayti, Mo. and I really like to go there from time to time and eat.

cookin-in-arkansas
Chubby's... that was a place not on my original list and it was listed on one of them highway rest stop signs... like "next exit: KFC, McDonalds, CHUBBY'S BBQ!" I was so freaked out to see a place like that on a list of commercial highway food that I got off the highway to check it out. Alas, it was closed. They had the BBQ Bus out back, and it looked like they did good work there. If it looks familiar, then that is probably the place... not in TX, I guess. can't remember. Some of this stuff has become a blur of rub and sauce Eeker
Woodburner - In the true spirit of political wishy-washyness, I will refrain from picking a favorite amoung the Lockhart BBQs...they're all people I consider friends. I have been to Coopers in Llano many times, but have come to like the Coopers in Mason better for consistency. Same people, different pit masters. They are definiately on the "don't miss" list of BBQ joints in Texas. If you're ever in the area again, let me know...I'll clue you in to a few in the area that you missed out on. Smiler
wb -

Sorry, didn't read carefully enough about Fat Matt's - there's almost too much information in the whole story to digest at once - can't even begin to imagine digesting that much meat!

The near northwest of St. L is surprisingly nasty, considering that it turns very suddenly into nice neighborhoods near Washington U and Clayton. Really a hard town for a visitor to figure out.
Howdy, TJR. Sounds like you hail from St. L. Where 'bouts you live? We're in Webster Groves. Man, you were right about some of the areas ol' Woodburner got himself into. While reading the report I was thinking he's lucky to of got out of there in one piece.

Great report, Woodburner! I look forward to reading the sequel. LOL And... good luck with your new venture.
yeah... I was born in The Bronx, otherwise not sure if I woulda had the nerve to cruise all the way up Grand Ave. (isn't that the one with Auntee's on it?) They weren't thrilled to have me in Auntee's Big Grin

But it was wicked depressed where Fat Matt's was supposed to be (Maffitt?)...

Ultimately, I did not have the nerve to go into Sweet Jo Mama's... which appeared to be located in the first floor of the housing project Eeker Have you been there?
Mornin' WoodBurner. To be honest, I had no idea there were that many Q joints in St. L until I read your report. I've been to Phil's but gave up on that years ago. Super Smokers is OK but as you said, somewhat lacking in smoke flavor. I've been to Bandana's and that's about it. Never had the courage to go to some of those north St. L places.

Actually, this area has never been a BBQ hot spot. If you want great Italian food St. L is the place to be. We've got some of the finest Italian restaurants this side of old Napoli, but BBQ has never really caught on here. The Q joints just seem to come and go. Oh Well.

Happy Smokin' WB.
WB, I agree with you assessment of Arthur Bryants. Overrated but has a great BBQ feel. Their attitude may be a turn off to a non local, but that is part of their whole image. Unfortunately, if I would have picked one BBQ joint to skip in KC, Gates would have been dead last on the list. By far the best BBQ in KC, and I was a local for 26 years. It may feel like fast food to you by the way you order your food, but trust me, its the best in the business.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip to KC. If you ever make it back be sure to stop by Sneads, Haywards, Boardroom BBQ, and GATES!!!

Also, thanks for taking the time to do this. If I ever travel to one of these cities I will definitely use your report as a guide.
EZ -

Actually, I live in Louisville, but my brother-in-law attends Concordia Seminary so we visit from time to time. It's a fun trip and not too far.

Right on about the Italian food - we visit The Hill every trip, sometimes twice - once for restaurant food and once to hit the groceries and bakeries.

Soulard Market might be a hit with the BBQ crowd, too, as a source for ingredients like wild game.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.