Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Get a FoodSaver 8200 or 8400 when they run them on sale at Kohls. Less than $100, unless you go for a model with a bunch of accessories. I don't think you will be displeased. I also have an older Tilia and I would still recommend the Foodsaver.
I know that at Kohls they have the price to beat when they run a sale...and Kohls almost always runs a sale.
I recommended the 8200 because it has the removable tray that will capture liquid to prevent it from getting into the pump. Plus it will come with some accessories at that price.
I just ordered a Sinbo from the seller on ebay for $64.95 plus shipping and handling. I have a FoodSaver, and it sits on my limited counter space, but I sure don't consider it the wonderful machine that it is hyped to be. My complaints are like the others, the bags are expensive, the bags don't hold the seal, and for some reason the auto seal on mine no longer works, this may have to do with sucking some liquid into the pump, and it won't suck enough to activate the auto seal, but who knows. Therefore, when it sucks what I think is enough I have to hit the manual seal button. I do use it for jars, and the canisters that came with the unit from Costco.

I bought the Sinbo, because the bags are cheaper, the price is right, and some of the vendors seem to sell replacement parts if needed. I can get bags that have a zip lock top that you seal from the bottom, like a lot of the packaged goods we buy today.

I like to make jerky, but just put it in zip lock bags, because you don't use the whole bag at a time. I look forward with the Sinbo to making larger batches, sealing them in smaller vacuum bags, maybe even with an oxygen absorber, and being able to keep enough jerky on hand so I never run out if I get busy. Wink
One thing I have noticed about the Foodsaver, it works best with the Foodsaver brand bags which tend to be a little heavier guage and more expensive. My dad washes his out. I thought about doing the same thing but always balk when I can't get them real clean, so I guess it sort of depends on what you are storing, as to whether they are worth washing out. I tried to use the black and decker bags and they dont seal real well at times. They also have an additional ply that is on both sides of the bag, I don't quite get that. It may just be me though, so I won't bash the B&D name.
Take a look at this site

http://www.vacuum-sealer-bags.com/index.htm

for both the sealer and bags. The sealer is far superior to the Food Saver. I have used the Food Sealer for several years and got fed up with bags losing the seal in the freezer. The seal line created when the Food Saver bonds the bag is about the width of a pencil line. The seal line with the one above is about 3/16" and holds the seal much better.
The Sinbo sealer arrived yesterday. I looks to be well made and has a heft that my Food Saver doesn't. This ebay model has another name rather than Sinbo but seems to be the same machine. Not quite as idiot proof as a Foodsaver. The ability to use just plain old plastic bags, really appeals to me. Time will tell how it holds up. Smiler
I have the newer model of the one Q'n Mike mentioned, which I got at Cabela's. You can get the refurbished model Mike mentioned a good price here.

Weston supply

Cabela's had the model V-33 mentioned above, but now only have what I believe to be the newer model, as both are imported by the same company, pragotrade.com.

I have been pleased with mine and have not had seal failure yet.
see it at:

Cabela's sealer

Also, the bags both units come with are the same.
Just a note from the Moderator.

When you post LONG URL's like that it really throws everything off and really isn't much use as it's not a description of what we're looking at.

When the URL window pops up to insert the link, a second window pops up for text, just enter the text.

I edited the 2nd link, you can see the difference.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator.
I have an old seal-a-meal still works good, all I can say when I do Ribs and cut a slab in half,I seal a meal it ,, I travel on the road so when I get in the Motel. I hook up my elctric wok and boil water and throw the frozen slab of ribs in for 15 min. , opena can of ranch style beans and I am in HOG heaven.
After years of frustration with my FoodSaver (messy, unreliable sealing, expensive bags, can't handle liquids, etc.), I finally sprung for a chamber unit, a VacMaster 15 (VacMaster). It's rapidly become a staple in my kitchen for not only sous vide, but for packaging leftovers, sealing rust-prone objects, packaging food gifts, marinating meats, and storing my enormous spice collection in mason jars (which probably triples the shelf life of most spices; interested readers can e-mail for details). 8" x 10" 3 mm poly pouches are about half a cent each--far cheaper than FoodSaver's pouches.

They can be found on eBay for about $1400. Yep, not cheap, but for an appliance I use several times a day, I consider the cost reasonable.

Vive le VacMaster!
After trying my Sinbo (Actually mine says, DZ-300A Household Vacuum Sealer) a number of times I am quite satisfied with the unit. There is a certain amount of learning required to get the snout in the bag and get the plastic to lie flat on the sealing bar. Also make sure the sealing time is set to 5 (as per the directions - maybe a guy thing). My only real complaint so far is that the black rubber? buttons on the bottom leaves marks on the counter.

I went out and bought some seal from the bottom zip top bags from a local suppler for less than $ 0.13/ which is a lot more than just plain bags, like a dime, but for jerky, and fish and good eats like that seems like a whole lot better way to go than Foodsaver.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.