Skip to main content

For Easter dinner today, I found a nice 4.5 pound New Zealand boneless leg of lamb at Sam's. After reading quite a few posts about preparation, settled on a marinade posted by dred in January 2009. Basically this is what I did:

1/2 red wine
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 yogurt
3 gloves of garlic
a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary
several mint leaves
onion power
a few teaspoons of fresh lemon juice

I put all of these in a food processor and mixed real good. I then put the leg of lamb in a 2 gallon ziplock bag with the marinade and let rest overnight in the refrigerator. Here is what it looked like after about 12 hours in the marinade - it coated the whole leg of lamb in a nice light pink marinade.

Then, I sprinkled the entire leg of lamb with some Santa Maria rub that I had left over from a previous BBQ, and put it in my AQ at 225, with the probe set at 135. I used 2 ounces of cherry and 2 ounces of apple, along with some fresh rosemary, mint, and garlic gloves.

It took 3 hours to get to 135, at which time I pulled and put on a 450 degree grill. I rotated several times, and removed from the grill at 145 degrees. Here is the final result.

I have to say the flavor was fabulous. As I was cutting, juices overflowed the cutting board and onto the counter. The lamb was absolutely tender, and the yogurt and wine based marinade basically removed any strong lamb taste. The Santa Maria rub finished off the flavors just right. It was particularly good with a nice glass of The Navigator by Alpha Domus Vineyard in New Zealand - a merlot, cabernet, and malbec blend. I will definitely do this again.

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.