Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A friend of mine and I smoked a deer leg for a little party we had following his return from a hunt in central Florida a few years ago. We brined and smoked the leg pretty much along the lines of this recipe, though we doubled the ingredients.

Prior to brining, we cut a lot of slits in the meat and inserted garlic slivers. As I recall, we used at least 2 heads of garlic. We thought about wrapping it in bacon but discounted that as we didn't want to impart the bacon flavor to the venison. We did, however, rub it pretty well with rendered duck fat and then wrapped it in caul fat. We applied the rub and smoked it at 185° to an internal temperature of 145°. I don't recall the exact time involved but I would estimate that it was between 3 and 4 hours. We FTC it for about and hour then sliced and served.

The leg turned out great. It was very tender and moist with a lot of flavor. It didn't last long at all.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.T:
quote:
Originally posted by dls:

The leg turned out great. It was very tender and moist with a lot of flavor. It didn't last long at all.

dls,
What did the leg weigh?

Mr. T - I don't recall the weight, if I ever knew at all. A friend of mine brought the leg to my house to smoke following a successful hunt. It wasn't the entire leg and it was bone in from a whitetail. As a guess, I would say it was around 8 lbs.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.