Skip to main content

Hi,

I am making dinner tonight and smoking both chicken and a prime rib. I usually smoke the PR at around 205 until it hits 110 F, and then put it in the oven at 425 until it hits 120 and crusts up. The smoke usually takes around 4 hours +/-.

I smoke the chicken at 300 until done which is usually around the 2 2 1/2 hour mark. And I finish it off on the grill to crisp up the skin.

I want both to be done around 7pm or so including the rest period. And I don't want to hold the PR under 140 for any length of time. Nor do I really want to cook the PR at high temps.

I know I can't do all of the above. Any ideas or suggestions on how to make this work to a reasonable degree?

My initial thought was to start the PR at 2pm. It would smoke on low temps for about 2 1/2 hrs and then would be hit with a higher temp when I put in the chicken. I would have to pull the PR when it reached 110 or maybe lower due to the faster rise with the higher temps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't have a full solution for u, but one thought comes to mind. If you are gonna start like you said, perhaps start with a very cold prime rib cold right from the fridge as that would extend its cooking time. I would start the chicken warmed a bit out of the fridge. That may just even the playing field a bit. Just a thought. Good luck.
Yes, ice cold PR gives it longer to cook while the warmer chicken takes less time if they are both cooking simultaneously. Lowering the cooking temp shouldn't hurt the chicken. May I suggest spatch cocking the chicken (if you were doing it whole), that greatly reduces cooking time as well. I think you would also be fine with 225. No reason why you cant get smoke on the chicken while the PR is smoking at its optimal temp, then finish the chicken on the grill, if you were gonna spatch cock that would speed grilling up too. I hope that helps (it sounded good in my head, lol).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.