Skip to main content

I'm almost too embarrased to admit this, but I guess it could be a learning experience for others. I set my prime rib on a rack inside a large disposable aluminum pan. Placed the setup inside my smoker Elite. The prime rib took better 6.5 hrs to get to 125* internal rather than the 4.5 hrs I had planned...even after letting it set on the counter for an hr. before cooking.

In reflecting what happened this morning I realized my dumb move. The foil pan was too large touching the smoker on 3 sides and less heat was getting past it. The smoker's therm also sat below the foil pan so the area below the pan was at temp and the area above the pan ran cooler. I, in essence, created a modified cold smoke baffle. Dinner was a couple hours late. Prime rib was perfect...it's done when it's done.

We could see what was happening and adjusted. Fortunately, my wife was pretty flexible. We delayed the sides and did the gift exchange before dinner rather than after. Everyone else was having so much fun that they just went with the flow. Dinner was a success, but later than planned.

I pull these brain fart things once in awhile. It's just my nature. Watch air flow when setting up. Things will cook faster.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
I thought this was going to be a new thread about an invention called doinks. You know boinks or moinks? You let me down pags! Haha

Ya, me too...

All's well that ends well Pags...at least you didn't have to toss that beautiful PR!

Families are more forgiving of our mistakes that we are...but expect some kidding on Christmases to come.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.