Skip to main content

...will I attempt to cook a PR anywhere other than my Cookshack!

Had an epic fail this weekend!

The Details:
- had a 16 lb PRIME, dry aged PR on order from a great butcher shop here in Southern Cal since mid-November.
- had some family members request I also bring some smoked chicken for Christmas day (and understandable request since my last chicken received rave reviews).
- So, decided to smoke the chicken and do the PR in my conventional oven due to capacity and time constraints.
- Used a cooking guide for the PR that I received from the local grocery store - instead of low and slow, it called for 375 degree cook.
- Pulled it at 130 degrees (per my thermometer) and foiled it, cooler, towel, etc.

Bottom line: it came out overcooked - not a hint of pink anywhere.

I am open to input, but here is where I made the mistakes:
1) only used one temp probe, should have had multiples - I now doubt the accuracy of my Maverick probe.
2) I underestimated the carryover temp - since I usually cook at 225, I think the carryover from 375 was more than the 5 degrees I usually plan for.
3) I put the cooked chickens (foiled) on top of the PR in the cooler....I think this generated too much additional heat and contributed to the additional heat gain.
4) Mostly - I didn't use my cookshack! Low, slow, and steady heat is what I need to use from now on....

Lesson learned....and it only costs me $250!

Any other input from my forum friends? I am thinking about redeeming my pride and doing another PR for New Years weekend coming up!

Ro
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think the higher cook temp coupled with FTC was your culprit. The higher cook temp created more carryover temp than the lower cook in the smoker.

If you had let it just set on the counter, it would have carried to 140* or so, medium. However, once you FTC'd the PR, it continued to cook itself due to the high temp. FTC from the smoker keeps it warm with minimal cooking due to the lower temperatures.

You'd have to estimate how much sooner to pull it from the oven when FTCing at the same time. It can be done, but it's a different learning experience than FTCing from a smoker...and without the help of experiences from the folk's here.
Ok - I redeemed myself and feel better now!

Walked into my local supermarket (Albertsons) the day after Christmas. They had one prime rib roast remaining, and marked down for sale at $4.99 a lb. I grabbed that 12 pound roast and headed home.

I cooked it for New Years, using my good old reliable cookshack. Place two probes both in the center, about 1 inch apart. Cooked at 225 until internal temp was 127 on one probe and 131 on the other - about 6 hours. I opened the cookshack door for about 10 minutes to drop the temp....then closed up, reset to 140, and let the roast sit in there another 45 minutes.

Transported into the in-law's in a pan and tented in foil (about 15 minute drive). When I cut into it, I was please to see that it was a perfect red/pink and the juices had plenty of time to settle in.

So lesson learned....low and slow in the cookshack from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did a 14# boneless choice grade PR from Sam's at my daughter's house on New years eve. Did not have accesss to my Amerique, so I did it in a Hamiliton Beach roaster. Cooked it @ 200 until internal temp reached 127. Rested for 1/2 hour and temp climbed to 135. At that point FTC'ed for a couple of hours before carving. Seasoned with Lowery's seasoning salt only. Did a sear in a 550 oven just before carving. Turned out perfect med rare and was tender and juicy. I was a hero!!!
I did a 19.5 pound PR in my new SM045. I have done PR in my old original 009, and took them to 130 degrees, and then put them in pans with foil, and back in the smoker for an hour or so with the smoker set for 140 degrees. These PR's turned out on the Medium side of Medium Rare. I always turned the old smoker off, and left the door open while I was putting them in the pan and foil. I used this technique with the new smoker, and had 19.5 pounds of Well done PR. I sent Cookshack an email about this. Turns out that the smokers with the digital controls has a default built into them. When you turn them off, and then turn them back on, they go into this default mode for 20 minutes. If you set the temperature to 140 degrees, the default overrides this. I don't know what the default temp. is, but it is higher than 140 degrees. The suggestion from Cookshack is: Don't turn the smoker off. Turn the temp setting down, and open the door to dump the heat. Live and learn. I really wish that Cookshack would drop the minimum heat setting for the new smokers to 120 to 130 degrees.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.