Skip to main content

Ok, I guess my first smoke is going to be a 7.5lb rib in Prime Rib roast. (Saturday 1/12/08)

How much will the temperature rise during the hold period? I am planning on bringing the roast to a temperature of 125 degrees (smoker @250 degrees) and then turning the smoker down to 140 degrees and holding for 4 hrs?

Will the temp of the roast rise more than 10 degrees?

Also I want to taste the smoke but not have it overpower the meat, any suggestions on how many wood would also be appreciated. (I only have the wood that came with the unit.)

I don't want the PR's inner pieces to cook to more than 135 degrees.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't want to go against what Tom is saying because he knows WAYYY more than I do about the Cookshack (seeing as how I have never even seen one, LOL)and probably cooking in general, but in my experience with oven roasting I would expect it go over 135 using that technique.

I would think that even if you pulled it out of the oven and rested covered on the counter it would rise 5-7 degrees. Let alone 4 more hours in a hot oven.

Remember that if your smoker is at 250 degrees inside when your PR hits 125 even though you turn the smoker down to 140 it will VERY SLOWLY come down to temp inside. The Cookshack is reputed to have great insulation so you would actually be holding it far higher than 140 for much of the last 4 hours.

Maybe you should consider letting all of the heat out before starting the resting period?

Just my 2 cents.
quote:
I agree with the captain.

Maybe kick it down to 140 a little earlier than 125 to keep from opening the door.

cronyism you are a wise man....

OK, here is the scoop. This morning was my first time using my model 50. Yeah I know, I have been a member of this forum for over 3 yrs and I just purchased a cookshack....

Anyway, I placed the 7.5lb rib in roast at 7:30am @ 250 degrees. By 9:30 the internal temperature was 110 degrees whereby I lowered the temperature to 140 degrees. I watched the internal temperature closely since there has been some great debate over the years as to open the door before lowering the temp or not.

Since the temperature raised 5 degrees relatively quickly, I opened the door for a couple minutes.

I held the roast at 140 degrees for 4 more hours. When everything was all said and done, the internal temp of the roast at serving time was 134. Considering our guest, this was perfect. All in all, I would have to say my first attempt at using the smoker was great.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PR
Yep,that is why Smokin' advocates taking careful notes of your cooks.

Include your variables.

Yes,most cooks will open the door and dump heat to get to a desired cooker temp.[Works the same in a home hot oven,or a stickburner]

When we say "turn the cooker down to 140*" are we turning a rudimentary knob to what appears to say 140*,or are we bringing the cooker's surface rack to a measured 140*?

On a small, mostly empty cavity,this could well be more than 50* variation.

Yes ,the hotter the cooker's internal temp,the larger the hunk of meat,the effectiveness of the insulation around the resting meat will all affect the amount and speed of internal heat/temp carryover.

Yep,cooking low/slow can be much more an art than a sience. Smiler

Just a couple of thoughts.
Last edited by tom
Won't get any arguments from me, Tom. I have no earthly idea what temp my Smokette cools down to if I turn the dial under where it says 150*. It don't say 140* nowhere. I just turn it all the way off, open the door for about 6 seconds, close it back up. The meat will usually rise another 5-10.

Cheers.

Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.