Skip to main content

...and my second item in the new smoker (SM020).

I'm kinda liking this.

I picked up a 4.5 pound Prime Rib and plotted a bold course. Not really, with all the great information here it was pretty easy to form a plan.

Anyhow, here's what I did.

I did the Rosemary, Kosher Salt, Garlic Powder, and Coarse Pepper rub the night before.

250 degrees for approx 1 hour, then down to 140 for about 4 hours. It was 18 degrees out. I added one wedge of Cherry wood (maybe 2 ounces) and 2 cloves of garlic to the box.

After the initial one hour phase the cut was at 72 degrees. After the roughly 4 hours at 140 it was 117 per internal thermometer.

I had to pull the cut due to time constraints. I would have preferred leaving it go though. So, it went in to a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Temp probe showed mid 120's. Another 10 minutes in the oven it went. I pulled the cut, wrapped it in foil and left it sit on the counter for 20-25 minutes. Final temp was 130 degrees.

It was better than I expected. But, I don't have any baseline to compare it to. Except, for that which I have had at random cheap restaurants that left me disappointed. This was much better.

We'll see how it goes in the future. But, I am pleased for the first go around.

Thanks for all the great advice and info here.

Bob

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PR_IMGP0133
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've noticed other comment that they get a nice crust out of their smoker; not flashed in an oven. And I have read others claim that they have to flash in the oven to get the crust.

I prefer the crusted look and taste.

Must be a difference in the smokers?

I didn't notice much smoke flavor to mine. I'll up the amount next time.

But, I like your idea, Qnorth, in letting it cook to higher temp initially. I almost did that yesterday but decided to stick to the plan. If only I had put it in an hour sooner.

My smoker goes to 300 degrees. I wonder if that would be better for the initial phase? Then how about setting the unit to 130 and letting it go? Would it overcook at some point? Or would it hold the rareness?

The idea being, do the first phase in the morning, dial back the heat, and have a feast after work?

I read Stuarts new format on the hot oven sear and slow cook. I plan to give that whirl some time too, just to see. I understand the smoke penetration limitation that poses.
The higher the temp, the less smoke it will take. Smoke will only penetrate during the period it's below 140. After the meat reaches that temp, you won't get smoke penetration, but you will get smoke to continue clinging on the outside.

For crust up, you need more than 300 degrees and a less moist environment.
I've gotten rave reviews when using the technique described in this article: http://bbq.about.com/cs/beef/a/aa121403a.htm

Basically, I bring it up to 125 in the smoker, then transfer it to a preheated 400 degree oven (the article advises turning off the oven for some reason - maybe someone could explain why the oven should be turned off?) to finish up and get a crust, taking it out when the internal temp hits 135. While resting, the temp continues to climb to somewhere between 140 and 145.

Has anyone else used this technique?
DWB, Prime looked great. Nice job. I smoke straight through at 225. 3 chunks of cherry or apple.I like 4 bone roasts, cut from the large side of the prime.I also trim as much fat as I can, so the smoke gets to the meat.Pull at about 115-118.I use a higher oven temp 450.At 125 it's out and on a rack for 15 minutes.As to Bobs Question why to shut the oven off, Smokin said it best, you are drying the bark, leave the oven on you're still cooking.
OK. This will take awhile to type cause I had my rotator cuff surgery just over a week ago.

I bought a 5 lb. prime rib, choice cut, at Sam's club for $5.95/lb. Seasoned it overnight with the following:

2 TB kosher salt
2 TB garlic
2 TB pepper
1 TB rosemary

Pulled from refrigerator and let rest for 1 hr. Preheated smoker for 35 mins. with 4 oz hickory at 225* Placed meat (39*) in smoker until temp hit 111* (4 hrs). Placed PR in 400* preheated oven, turned oven off. Removed PR from oven after 23 minutes (126*). Doubled foiled, wrapped in towel, and let sit in the oven(cooled down but still warm). Did the foil and oven thing cause we were still finishing the caeser salad, asparagus, baked potato, and garlic bread. Glass of Merlot.

After 45 min., removed from oven(138*), sliced and served. Absolutely, incredibly delicious. Medium rare, great smoke flavor, tender, moist, melt in your mouth. Better than another of my favorite restaurants. Because of the shoulder my wife did the fixins and my friend did the heavy lifting (the meat). He didn't complain. Only change next time--place PR in a 550* preheated oven to get a little more crust.

This Cookshack thing gets in your blood. Happily, it's becoming a hobby. Thought it would be an expense, but find myself smokin in the yard more and eating out less often. Could this actually save me money?

Next attempt. Pick up a Papa Murphy's sausage pizza and cook in "the elite" with no wood. Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.