Skip to main content

Okay, so real men don't have to read the instructions....

If you are new to the art of smoking meat, please disregard the above. Do yourself a favor and read the comments of those on this board who have been there .
I have been anxiously awaiting the moment when my first attempt in my CS-09 (two slabs of BB Ribs)would be ready to eat. The smoke smelled wonderful and I was starving. Who knew that too much wood could be a bad thing? I'd give these bitter things to the dog but he's a good dog and I like him.
Can't wait to try again.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Don't feel too badly...you're not the first person to make this mistake. It's hard to imagine that an ounce or two of wood provides sufficient smoke flavor but as you found out, it does.

Once your smoker is well seasoned, you might want to leave the wood out altogether when cooking chicken.

In addition to the knowledge here on the forum, you can fast track your BBQ knowledge by reading THESE
Pay attention to Max about seasoning the smoker. Nothing will seem controllable or repeatable until your smoker's interior walls have a good solid black patina, which will stabilize your cooking temps and impart good flavor even with minimal wood. My suggestion is a good long cook at 225 with a 6 or 7 lb pork butt and 3 or so ounces of wood. No foil wrap. Cook to 200 internal and behold your newly seasoned, perfectly-performing smoker (and your fabulous pulled pork!). Enjoy!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.