Skip to main content

Owner of a new to me 025, moved up from a WSB. So far have done trout, whole chicken and round eye. Each time I've put the food in along with one chunk of wood and started the smoker. Mixed results as follows.

Trout: used brine recipe from Get Smokin' and mistakenly used Apple instead of hickory. Pretty mellow on the taste.

Chicken: used the Rosemary and lemon marinade recipe from Get Smokin' with Hickory at 300 instead of 225 per recipe. Very strong smoke taste & smell, too much for wife.

Round eye: heavy rub of Montreal seasoning, wrapped in plastic for 24 hours (probably too long). Smoked with hickory at 300 to 140 IT, wrapped in foil and towels for 30 minutes. Sliced very thin. Reasonably tender for a tough cut. But, very strong smell and odd taste. Neither of us liked it.

Doing ribs tomorrow, have a previously enjoyed rub, need to do this one right. 101 calls for smoking with Apple at 225, but doesn't say if food in at start or wait until temp is stabilized at desired temp.

What do the experts say?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum. Putting food in cold smoker is fine. My suggestion: use the 101's from this forum and the cookshack website rather than the book you are using. I have found them to be invaluable. Also, there is a learning curve on any smoker, start with more basic meats (ie a pork butt) and once you have the smoker figured out, move on to lass traditional meats. Take notes and be patient. It will get better.
I always place the food in the smoker then start it. I am a pork only smoker so it is always ribs or a butt. I weigh the wood and keep the temp to between 225 and 230/235. Low and slow is the key to tender eats. As for smoke, make sure your wood is well seasoned from a reputable source, like Cookshack. Wood from big box stores may be old and too dry, producing very heavy smoke rather than a light opaque, or wispy thin blue.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.