Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey guys,
thanks for the replies, yeah the element is touching the smoke box.

i'm seasoning it again (smoking empty) had it on max (257? sorry it's an old british model and doesn't have an inside probe)
and after the first hour i put a probe through the top hole and it stabalised at 237 going to keep checking it on the hour. Any other suggestions?
Considering it's used, the heating element may be on it's way out.

Moisture - not uncommon due to the size of the cooking chamber and the moisture produced while smoking. Some folks open the door for a few seconds every hour to dump the excess moisture.

My advice, call Cookshack at the number above. Ask for Bill or Tony in tech support and describe the issue. They can best tell you if the element needs to be replaced.

Let us know.
Hi guys!
so I ran the smoker all day today with nothing in.
Poked my probe in the top hole for readings. At the max (257) I got
1st hr 237.2
2nd hr 284
3rd hr 273.2
4th hr 273.2
5th hr 248
6th hr 233.6

Now I'm aware these are optimal temps for low and slow, but bare in mind i haven't opened the door all day and it's been on max power (if i have it set lower (230) it might not get there.
I am worried about this slight drop near the end. Do you guys think turning the thing off after the 5th hour and back on will help maintain the temperature?
Thanks
Wes
When I purchased my 055... long ago... I ran much the same test as you.. Set it for 225 and watched the temps. The temps varied between 265 and 185... quite a variation but the average?? 225!! And I haven't checked the temps again, ever.

As our own BBQ curmudgeon will tell you: "the butt can't tell the difference in the temps, and if the product turns out ok, then that's all you need."

And I would expect that my temps have leveled off now that many cooks later it is well seasoned.

As Tom will tell you, "Don't overthink the issues"
Max,watch how you go ruining old folks' reps. Wink

The fuller the load ,the more stable it will run.As the good cooks above said,even your home oven may get 35º swings.The therm you dropped inside can read different temps by location.
Yes,it cooks very moist and the bigger the load,the more moisture.Opening it up every couple hrs may lengthen your cook time,but will let out some steam.

Also,as Max says,we sit out here and make wild guesses.After you have tried our suggestions,you will have narrowed it down to what Tony or Bill will ask you next.
As the others said,it sounds like you are doing fine and just need to get used to cooking stuff.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.