Skip to main content

I made some snack sticks the other day. Followed the recipe instructions by putting the sticks in the smoker for one hour at 140 degrees. No wood, just for drying purposes. After one hour put two chunks of wood in and slowly increased the heat to 170 degrees over about 8 hours. The sticks finally reached an internal temp of 152, however the wood never did smolder. They look exactly like they were first put in. Obviously, no smoke flavor. Any thoughts on why the chunks never started to create smoke?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the input. I do remember that Cookshack also has a baffle for using when cold smoking. Curious, what others have experienced when using the baffle. I have been making smoked sausages, and they require low temps with smoke. I do use cure so am not going to poison anyone. I am also trying Charcuturie by making a Coppacola using an Umai bag. Very interesting.
Cookshack cold smoke baffle is $80. 12" Amazen tube smoker is $30.

You might need to open the door a few times with the tube smoker to dump some heat. I cold smoked some bacon in the FEC a few months ago, temp got up to 90 with just the tube smoker. Had to open the door a few times to dump some heat. SM025 is a lot smaller than the FEC.

Or you could try the original A-maze-n smoker, it uses sawdust. Might be better for cold smoking.
Last edited by andyj
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
Do you have the baffle already? I remember reading several people would put a tray of ice on the baffle to lower the temp.

Or, I think it may have been Mr. T that did it, put a big cardboard box on top of the smoker and put your product inside. Use the Cookshack as the smoke generator.

I resemble those remarks. The cold smoke baffle makes for a nice trivet.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...462907527#2462907527

Tom
Your smoker stays on for the first 20 minutes with the intention of getting the wood smoking. Put in the chips or pellets before you start your smoker. That could make a difference.

Also, when making jerky I don't start at the low temperature (140*). If my suggestion still doesn't work for you, start at 170* all the way with the chips or pellets.
OK. I am also looking into a baffle from CS for cold smoking. That being said, some of the sausage recipes call for a low temp of 130 degrees for the first hour without smoke to dry the sausages. Then start smoke at 140 and slowly increase the temp to 170 in half hour increments. For a final internal temp of 152. Can take 8 hours or so. The reason for the low temps while smoking sausages is to keep the fat from rendering out and making for very dry sausages. I would love to hear from others who have the 025 and use the baffle, what their results are. This recipe is for smoking sausages with cure to prevent botulism from growing. Perplexed!
I used to use the baffle alot for smoking cheese but haven't done much of that in a long time. The baffle worked fine. I would put it in just above the woodbox with a pan of ice on top of it. Then I would run the smoker (055) for 25 mins or until the upper chamber reached 90 degrees, whichever came first. To run it longer risks heating the lower area too much. Then I would turn off the smoker and let it sit for over an hour. Then test the product and if you want more smoke, start over again. Not sure how that would work for jerky.. I would think you would need to dump a lot of moisture.
Camper Bob
I agree with Qnorth. I haven't tried sticks or sausage yet, but the cold smoke baffle works great! I just did 8 lbs of assorted cheeses on Friday and it worked great with the pan of ice on top. My guess would be to get your smoke first via the cold smoke, then go for your higher temps for drying. I set the smoker at 225 degrees for 20-25 minutes and then turn it off for an hour and allow the smoke to do its thing. After an hour I'll run another cycle of smoke if needed. Just a thought.
Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.