Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks guys! I'm a native Georgia boy who grew up eating some of the best Q in the world but I have never got around to buying the equipment and doing my own.

I'm sort of an impulse shopper and usually pull the trigger when I decide I want something. Crazy enough, a month ago, I couldn't tell you what a Cookshack electric smoker was! After doing my research, I must admit that I almost would have bought a Masterbuilt or Bradley then I stumbled on this forum and was swayed to spend the extra money for the quality.

So, Thanks! I'll let you know how our first smoke turns out...
quote:
Originally posted by Mattysdaddy:
My internal temp of the shoulder is sitting at 168*, wondering how long? We are approaching the 11 hour mark... I know, it's done when it's done! :-)

Your pork shoulder is in the plateau stage and may well stay there for a long time. But keep your eye on the IT because once the plateau stage is over, the IT can rise quickly. Be patient and you will be rewarded with properly cooked Q.
quote:
I almost would have bought a Masterbuilt or Bradley

I was on Amazon getting ready to pull the trigger on a Bradley when I read a review that mentioned Cookshack. I looked at the CS and changed my mind and I'm VERY glad I did.

You can buy something cheap and buy it again in a few years or you can buy something of quality and pass it on to the next generation (eventually).

What's that old saying? "A thing of beauty is a joy forever". That's a Cookshack!
I keep bamboo skewers on my smoker. They work great for checking to see if the butts are done. Just push it lengthwise through the meat. If it goes easy you are there. Just takes a little time, and you will be smoking like a pro in no time. I have found that time of cook is just a guideline. Each piece of meat is a little different, and can take more time, or less time just depends. As Smokin Says "Its done when its done". You will not regret your purchase.
Congrats on the new smoker. Those butts are good for seasoning the smoker, besides they sure smell good smoking.

They do need some type of warning about the weight you will gain with a CS smoker, oh well.

One word of caution, if you share with friends you'll have more and more friends around about supper time.
I'd go with the hickory.

Chicken cooks very quickly in a CS. Make sure to keep a close eye on the IT of the chix. After an hour or so cover the chix with cheesecloth soaked in butter to keep the skin moist. The ribs, just use the toothpick method to determine when they are done. At 225 I'd guess at least 4 hrs, maybe as many as 6 hrs depending on how many times you open the door to work with the chix.
Ribs must be in a plateau because they've been at 165* IT for quite awhile. The chickens are wrapped in foil in a igloo cooler waiting on lunch. Juices ran clear and the IT of the thickest part was 170 so I pulled them... Hopefully the ribs really will be a knockout. I'm on my second smoke since the UPS man dropped off my Smokette on Wednesday!
quote:
Thanks for the comments guys! I'm doing ribs and whole chickens tomorrow morning... Will they smoke well together? I only have hickory or mesquite chunks. Which wood would you suggest?

I know I'm late to the post, but never cook poultry above over meats. The fear of cross contamination is enough to never do it. As it cooks it drips and leaves really ugly looking streaks on any food below it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.