Skip to main content

Quick background. I own a 009 and have used it for years but have outgrown it. (That's what happens when you keep turning out such a great product - more and more people want it!)
Anyway I just purchased a new to me model 50 - loving it so far. So a friend owns a traeger but wants to give my 009 a spin and see if he likes it. He asked if he can use his traeger pellets in the 009 in place of chunks. I have no idea - can this be done?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, but....

The pellets will burn much faster because of the on/off heating element. Just remember the wood in the 009 is for smoke flavor, not heat, so you can use anything. Just create a little foil boat (don't close it) and put some pellets in.

I'm sure some owners will stop in and have some more thoughts.
Thanks for the response.

Yeah I've never used a pellet - anything. I figured in concept it would work but that they would probably burn up pretty quickly. I offered him some wood to try mine with - I think he's just wondering what he will do with all of his pellets if he buys a CS.

I'll keep watching for more replies.
I started out with a used SM008, precursor to the SM009, found this fella on eBay that sells assortments, you only need two pieces for a load in the SM009 or the SM050. I now own a SM150 and use just two sticks, the assortment includes red oak, maple wood, cherry and hickory. 22 pieces x 4. A box lasts a long time. Been using the same guy since I started.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultima...&hash=item27f57e018e
I ran my old 009 for 10 years, and seldom used wood chunks. This was simply because I couldn't find them in the stores. I have used chips, and what they call "chunks". Chips are sort of like course saw dust, and "chunks" are what I would call chips. I also used pellets. I just dumped them in the wood box. I have a 045 now, and still use what they call "Chunks". I used to do an uneducated eye ball on the amount of wood I used. After getting the 045, I bought a scale, and now weigh the wood. The taste of the product jumped by leaps and bounds.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.