Skip to main content

Hi there, new AQ owner and excited to be one! I am coming from using a Smokin' It Model #3 (SI3). Comparable in size to the AQ, but the SI3 tops out at 250 on the thermostat (and can have trouble hitting that when loaded), and has no auto-probe cook. I look forward to trying out all manner of meats in the AQ.

I just seasoned the AQ an learned a lesson for other newbies. If you connect the probe (as I did, just to make sure I did not lose it), you cannot then set a timed cook. You must disconnect the probe first. Also, the user interface can be summed up as

You hit On/Off once to turn it on.
Hold down the temp button until it beeps, and then hit + or - to set temp
Then hold down the Time button until it beeps and use + or - to set time, and hit time to move from hours to minutes and to "done"
-OR-
Do the same on the probe to set a target temperature
...THEN hit Start/Stop once and you're off. Do NOT hit start/stop again unless you want to stop your cook.

My cursory skimming of the manual didn't mash that into my head the first time. Hope this helps someone.

Some migration questions I did not see answers to when I tried to 'search' function in this forum:

1. Most people on the Smokin It use aluminum foil "boats" to seat their wood chunks in before adding them to the burner box. This helps keep combustion/smoldering even, especially if more air flows in from opening the door. Anyone do that here?

2. Another Smokin It practice is to put a small loaf pan about half full of water or other liquid in to help create a moist cooking environment. I ended up abandoning this as it seemed to also limit temperature. Anyone do this here?

3. The racks look a little bit smaller in the AQ than the SI. Can you typically fit two whole racks of St. Louis ribs on there sideways or a full packer brisket? Or do you need to trim/split them at all?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,
-TC
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've had my AQ about a year and a half. I've found no need for additional moisture since the unit is so well sealed, except for the small vent on top. I can easily fit two St. Louis ribs on a rack, but for a larger brisket you may need to trim or just fold the thin end under. I started taking a small tape measure to the store with me. Smiler Enjoy!
First let me say welcome.

Appreciate the detailed post

quote:
Originally posted by TwilightChrome:
Some migration questions I did not see answers to when I tried to 'search' function in this forum:

1. Most people on the Smokin It use aluminum foil "boats" to seat their wood chunks in before adding them to the burner box. This helps keep combustion/smoldering even, especially if more air flows in from opening the door. Anyone do that here?

2. Another Smokin It practice is to put a small loaf pan about half full of water or other liquid in to help create a moist cooking environment. I ended up abandoning this as it seemed to also limit temperature. Anyone do this here?

3. The racks look a little bit smaller in the AQ than the SI. Can you typically fit two whole racks of St. Louis ribs on there sideways or a full packer brisket? Or do you need to trim/split them at all?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,
-TC

Never heard of the Smokin It until you posted. VERY similar to a CS. Hmmmm.

For the comments about the manual, if it needs clarification I'd certainly say let CS know (I'm not CS and they don't always monitor the forum for changes).

your questions.
1. I wouldn't any anything inside the wood box as you'll be restricting airflow. It works as advertised as is, so not sure why you had to do that on yours. Trying to cut down the airflow? Just add more wood if you want more smoke.

2. Liquid isn't needed I don't think. The CS are so well insulated that for a lot of smokers, with the small exhaust port you'll want to let moisture out so you get more color/bark formation.

3. Not sure about the sizing, I haven't used my AQ in years so I can't say specifically.
I almost bought a Smokin It before my AQ. SmokinOkie is correct that it is very similar to the Cookshack design. Don't know who stole what, but it was up there in the running before I chose my AQ, mainly for reasons dealing with reputation and customer service. I can't take anything away from the SI cookers. I just chose my AQ and am very happy with it!
I am aware of the penchant for some to wrap wood in foil to avoid the dreaded belch or flame. My Amerique has belched on occasion. More like a whoomph. No damage and the smoke continued till done. As for a water pan, I have never used one. Supposedly it allows the use of cider, beer or whatever to the smoke. And they may be (MAY BE) a necessity from time to time with an analog unit that can swing high of the set temp by 30 or so degrees and create a drying effect. I don't know. It might also be a personal preference, like doing ribs following the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method where the middle digit is the ribs wrapped in foil rather than just naked on the racks for the entire smoke. It is a learning experience to get what you like every time. And the Amerique makes it easy.

I have had my Amerique since April 2012 and have never had a need for added moisture.

Enjoy and happy smoking.
Last edited by oldsarge
I think the water pan thing is really dependent on what you are cooking. For hanging sausage links, in my opinion it really helps to keep things moist and tender until the sausage is done. Then "blooming" the links in a hot water bath before drying for a few hours really helps too. For most other meats, I find the water pan is not necessary for the CS electric smokers. Just my $.02.
I have the flavor infuser reservoir that leans against the wood box and shield from CS. Basically a water pan. I have used it on many cooks and it works well. I have used stock, red and white wines with herbs and beer. It imparts a nice flavor. Too moist on larger cuts of meat like butts and briskets in my opinion but on poultry, sausages and fish and even ribs it gives you some different flavor profiles to play with.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.