Skip to main content

I have had a Smokette for abut 12 years, never and issue, other that the chip box hinge is so badly rusted it is hard to open and close.

Put 3 butts in on Friday night about 8:00 and had the GF turn off the cooker the next morning at 9:00 while I was at work. I got home around 12:30 and we shredded them. These were going to a customer from work that asks me from time to time to make him some. I don't think I had ever just turned the unit off and allowed things to sit in it for several hours until I got to it.

I put another butt in last night about 8:30 checked on it about 11:00 before I went to bed, got up about 9:30 to turn the unit off and when I stepped out into the garage I knew the was a problem. There was no steam coming from the top of it, I walked over and the outside of the unit was cold, it got down to the low 30's last night here, I opened the door and everything was cold to the touch inside, the wood had been turned to ash. I turned the dial off and back on to 250° and checked it about an hour later it was hot and cooking now. I took out the butt and wrapped it and put it in the oven in the house at 275° and am finishing it this way.

I guess I need to call CS in the morning and ask them what I need to check or replace.

Just wondering if anyone here has had anything similar happen and what the problem was.

I am thinking it is the thermostat or dial since the element started getting hot again.
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.