Skip to main content

Got my SM 025 a couple of months ago and loving it. I am a converted propane smoker cook (A Masterbuilt tried to kill me :-) and I really appreciate the ease of the cooker. I am finding myself smoking more often since I can do other weekend activities while still preparing wonderful food. No more watching temps for this guy. One thing I have noticed is the lack of a smoke ring on my food. Everything tastes great (so what am i bitching about?) but kinda miss the red badge of BBQ. I noticed one owner suggested a charcoal briquet in the tray ...anyone else tried this with success?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum, if you use the find feature and key in smoke ring you will find a lot of threads on the subject. A charcoal briquette will work to a degree but with the great Q coming from your CS you will not miss the smoke ring. Come to think of it no one has ever said this smoke ring taste great while devouring my brisket! Smiler
Trying to figure out the physics of how come it cant form a ring using wood but can get a small one with Kingsford. Only thing I can come up with is a lack of air maybe. Somebody kindly edumacate me here. Thanks. Not that a ring is all that critical as most have said..though it is mighty nice to have one in comp cooking. Have seen some potential grand prize winning briskets which failed to get picked because of a lack thereof. The problem usually being attributed to some kind of funky marinade on the front end. Now the judges tell them dont pay any mind to whether it has one or not..but I think it helps. lol
Thanks to everyone who replied ....Tried the Kingsford coal method on a turkey last weekend and still no ring...but ...and this is huge...Best smoked turkey ever way better than any other smoker I've owned / trashed. The moisture in the meat was fantastic Learning that these Cookshack units are way more efficient than other cookers and food is done faster than other smokers I've owned. Still learning the unit but loving the results Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by bigwheel:
Trying to figure out the physics of how come it cant form a ring using wood but can get a small one with Kingsford.

If you really want to go all Big Bang Theory (I can) but I'll keep it simple.

The Electric CS only burn a few chunks of wood and the amount of gases created (that create the SR) just aren't enough to do the work AND the fact they are a very moist smoker (water affects it too).

The Kingsford produces more of the gases.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.