Skip to main content

I just did a 3.5 hr turkey breast, and 2/3 of the wood turned to ash, but I've had a number of smokes where the wood is darkened considerably with maybe a corner turned to ash. The key is, like Vicki asks, how did it taste? I like a heavy smoke, and most of the time am pleased with the results even if the wood isn't completely burned.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
RR,

Give CS a call since it's Monday.

Wood is funny, sometimes (because of moisture) the wood may not burn to ash. Many times you'll have wood looking just like you do.

Honestly, I'd be fine with the wood looking as it does if I had a good smoke flavor. But that's not the case. Smoke flavor is very, very mild.
I heard from Bill Vice of Cookshack today. He contacted me via e-mail and by telephone. He has a sneaking suspicion the wood may be holding more moisture than necessary. He went on to say that Cookshack had recently changed hickory suppliers to combat the issue.

He also suspect that since I'm running such small loads and that the smoker is so new, that the wood simply isn't getting enough time to ignite. He suggest (until smoker is REALLY broken in) that I do a pre-heat cycle with the door open. This will put additional load on the heat cycle and should hopefully get the wood ignited more promptly. He said adding in water in a bowl to further load the heater wouldn't hurt either.

I referred him to our discussions here and after reading it he said the advice provided here was mostly correct and spot on. So kudos to all the members here who took part in trying to solve my issues. It shows a bit of camaraderie and a lot of knowledge....knowledge that was willing to be shared. This isn't always the case on some forums. So a pat yourselves on the back for a job well done. I am grateful also.

In addition, Bill offered to reimburse me the $42 I had to pay for the wood. While I didn't ask for this nor expect this, Bill brought it up and offered to take care of it for me. He said he'd have a cheque in the mail promptly.

So all in all...between the forum and Bill Vice it looks like were are at least pointed in the right direction to solving the issue with my 025.

Again...huge thanks to all the members here who offered advice and the Bill Vice and Cookshack for their willingness to "make it right". Companies with service like this go a long way to making life long customers.
Nice to hear that CS is doing what it can to make your problems right, I guess you can see why so many of us own more than one of their products.

This is why we all keep wanting you to talk with them personally. They have no way of knowing what issues you have without the one on one contact.

I wondered if it wasn't a moisture issue with your wood. I live in a region that the wood will occasionally draw some moisture. The bark will be the last part of the wood to catch, so occasionally my wood will burn with the bark only charring, but this seems to be when I get the best smoke flavor.

You may need a few more pieces of wood until your smoker gets seasoned/used. I've found that in time, I've cut back on the quantity of wood I use.

If I remember right, someone has used their microwave to help dry wood, but I'd think laid out on a roof would do the trick or in front of a dehumidifier.
quote:
Originally posted by RRocket:
... It shows a bit of camaraderie and a lot of knowledge....knowledge that was willing to be shared. This isn't always the case on some forums. So a pat yourselves on the back for a job well done. I am grateful also.

That's actually how we try to approach it. No attitudes here (well, except for one or two) but you'll find all the help you need.

We all just strive to help everyone/each other make better Q.

Thanks for the comments, no get to cookin' Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
If I remember right, someone has used their microwave to help dry wood, but I'd think laid out on a roof would do the trick or in front of a dehumidifier.

I remember copying this from one of the threads in the Wood section:

"Another kiln man trick, You can dry your small wood pieces in a microwave oven. If it has a low setting and a turntable on the bottom. Put wood in for 1 min. at low setting with turntable running. Then take wood out of the oven for two min, to let it cool off. Do this 3 or 4 times and the wood will be dry. Caution do not use a high setting the wood will burn. My wife does not want a smoked microwave."
Big Dan: I was wondering the same thing. When I re-read this thread one thing popped out in my brain. RRocket said that the grease hole is open. Both my SM-009, and SM-045 have 2 grease holes. One is in the lip that sticks out under the door. The other is under the heating element, and hard to see. If this hole is blocked, it would cause most if not all of RRocket's problems.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.