Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the advice, guys. I decided to just let the AQ do it's thing yesterday morning. I put the meat in cold, inserted the probe and set the temp for 225. The smoker at that point said 33 degrees. As I was going out to check after about 40 minutes, I heard a loud pop that rattled the cooking grates, and there was lots of smoke. The temp had overshot to about 260. I'm assuming the noise was due to quick thermal expansion of the box. At that point I opened the door for a few seconds to shed the extra heat, and the smoker settled in to 225 very quickly. Anyway, the short ribs turned out great, cooked to 190. Very tender and juicy despite being select grade. Thanks for your help!
Ahhh, the pop, bang, woosh! Big Grin I had that happen only once,last year, it was a cold day as well. I watched it happen, the smoke coming out the vent and from the door sucked back in, back draft, and pop! The wood in the wood box flames up and there has to be the perfect mix of smoke and air. The AQ is so well built it doesn't phase it! It was cool to watch.
Glad your short ribs turned out well!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.