Skip to main content

I have a sm025 just recently purchased it...Looking at a SM160 and $4000.00 is alot of bills,...
This SM 150 is available for $1700.00 ...is this a good buy.
What to look for in buying a smoker of this age.
What is life span of heating element, and IQ4?
It this a good deal?
Please advise,
Thanks
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well most SM150s are bought to be used in a restaurant. And as I told you $1700.00 is a pretty righteous price. Talk to the seller. Man if it is a private party that only used it at home for parties and such it's like buying a new car. 150s are built to run all the time in a restaurant environment, cranking out ribs and pork butts and briskets 24x7

Good luck.
Without knowing a lot about it, I can't say if it's a good deal or not.

There's a lot to check if you're buying used. Do all the electronics work, do the elements work. What kind of controller.

If it's used, you can bet the heating element will go out. The usage will determine the life span.
Smokin',

All the electronics work perfect (now that Tony helped me bypass that pesky doorswitch). Elements work perfect, IQ2 controller. This was on my truck and used as the back up to my FEC 100 when I had big gigs to cook for. It has a build date of 8-14-2001 and doubt it has 75 cooks on it.

Eddy has spoiled me with the use if his FEC-500! With the current growth in the foodtruck world here in KC, I foresee the need for the 500 much sooner than later.
Last edited by Former Member
It truly has been spoiled. Very little use, stays inside when not in use (so no cover), only eats cherry wood (or Cookshack fruit pellets),and typically only gets brushed out with a brass brush when cleaned. I cleaned it a little better this last time due to a request from a potential buyer.

I have since ran 3 rounds of straight cherry wood through it to get some of the seasoning back.

As of right now, ebay suggests a very happy individual in Florida is going to own it. But there is a few days left on the auction.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.