Skip to main content

Well, I was in the market for my first electric smoker, but had ruled out the Cookshack due to price. I was going to settle on a lesser model and called a local dealer who carries them, but he told me he had none in stock. He also told me he carried Cookshack, but he had none of those in stock either -- except for one unit that was damaged in shipping.

Huh? Exactly how damaged are we talking? Well, after a quick visit and inspection, I was the proud new owner of a brand new, DEEPLY discounted Cookshack complete with a few character marks!

I own three water smokers (R2D2) types, a big, cast iron offset smoker and multiple other gas and charcoal grills, but this is my first foray into the electric cooking world. I'm having a great time "setting and forgetting" which is exactly what I wanted.

A few initial attempts came out overly wooded and bitter, but I think I'm getting that under control.

For ribs use 1 medium chunck of hickory or apple wood and one charcoal briquette (I picked up that idea somewhere on a forum). I've found that about six hours at 225 yields a very nice, fall off the bone rib. Actually, on my last and best smoke I lowered the temp to 200 in the middle of the cook and raised it back to 225 for the last hour or so.

I am still having trouble getting shoulders right, but enjoying the experimentation!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • photo_4
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Max, yes, I am very happy to have joined the Cookshack family, it's a fantastic piece of equipment.

My shoulders don't seem to get quite as thoroughly tender as they do on my other smokers and I don't get the same bark on the outside. I've used three chunks of wood and two charcoal briquettes. The meat seems grey and mushy.

Now, I've only tried two shoulders, so I consider myself still in practice mode, but I have cooked many, many shoulders on my other smokers. Also, my uncle and BBQ mentor has cooked competitively for many years and always cooked for Memphis In May before becoming a certified judge -- so I do have some BBQ roots!

Any advice would be appreciated.
The grey coloring on the meat may indicate too much wood. In many cases, less is more. A good practice is to weigh your wood chunks as they'll vary in size. 4 oz in a 009 will produce ample smoke for a brisket or pork butt.

Color is also affected by type of wood. Cherry will always produce a mahogany color; oak and hickory, not so much.

Charcoal briquettes...why? Smoke ring?

Did you season the smoker when you got it?

Large pieces of meat in a 009 will produce moisture, inhibiting bark formation. Try opening the door for 5 seconds, once an hour to dump excess moisture.

Run the 009 at full temp...250.

I'm trying to wrap my head around "mushy" meat with your comment about lack of tenderness. What temp are you pulling your butts at? Many of the forum members will advise testing for tender vs cooking to a specific temp. Probe the inner butt muscles with a fork or wooden skewer. Easy in and out = done. If your smoking bone-in butts, they're done when the blade bone releases from the meat.
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
Max, thank you.

With my offset smoker I cook shoulders for 18-20 hours, I was running the 009 for about 6, is there a rule of thumb for cooking times on butts?

A bone in Boston Butt usually requires (for me in my FEC100 at a temp of 240) about 1 hr 15 minutes per pound. I look for a digital probe reading of 192-194 but testing for tender is always my final determination for doneness.
Max,
It's quite possible I was using too much wood, I think I used 4 chunks for the shoulders, I'll dial that back.

Yes, the charcoal was to help produce a smoke ring, I still can't get used to the idea of not having it -- it may just be aesthetics, but it's ingrained in my psyche!

I did season the smoker per instructions when I got it and did a couple test smoked with some chicken and then some pork.

I think the idea of opening the smoker from time to time is a great idea, the moisture does seem to build up and must hinder bark development.

I think I pulled the butts around 190, no lower. Mushy meet might not have been the best description, the consistency was just a bit different from what I am accustomed to.

I usually test for doneness just by grabbing the shoulder and twisting it a bit, if it falls off the bone it is done. I do have a temp probe now, which I have never used in the past, and think maybe I'm becoming a slave to it and not using my more instinctual BBQ skills!

Looking forward to putting your advice to the test with my next smoke!

Happy Halloween to all!
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
SmokinMainiac, I'm just outside of DC, how about you?

I, too, have an SM-009 (about four years old at this point). I recently added a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" to my arsenal.

I'm just outside of DC, too - Gaithersburg, MD area.

Congrats on your new Cookshack. It's a wonderful cooker.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.