Skip to main content

Hey all. Need some advise. I use a sm260 and up until recently it worked perfectly. No
Lately I have simply not been able to get my meat cooked to the proper tenderness. This ishappening with everything.pork rubs beef ribs brisket chicken. It is simply not cooking they way it used to. And I have to smoke longer and longer to get a passable product but not the way it used to be. I have replaced the seals thinking heat was escaping. But that didn't solve the issue. Anyone have any advice?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We are having the same problem. The temp is correct internally but it is taking longer and longer to cook. Asked customer service and they said to try a new probe or main box. We don't want to keep investing in parts to find the broken one. When we opened it up today it said 225 degrees but it was not that warm in the oven. It is not reaching temperature in my opinion. What part would that be? We will call customer service again but if anyone has an idea please let us know. thanks. The pork shoulder is now in my slow cooker.
Must be something in the air? I put a load of butts on at 224 last night just like I always do and when they are usually done they were only reading about 165 (vs 180). Cleaned the smoker probe and put in 2 wireless probes to verify temp and at my 224 setpoint I was about 196 or so. Had to bump to 255 to maintain 225 in the smoker.

Is this typical for the probes to drift off? I don't know much about the mechanics of how they work I guess???? I'll be calling CS tomorrow!

This got me thinking... Maybe I should have a thermometer mounted on the door for an easy "double check" from time to time when I am walking by. Anyone have any suggestions for what to use? It would have to be long enough to be able to be mounted through the double walled thick door.
quote:
Originally posted by dandaluga:
... The temp is correct internally ... When we opened it up today it said 225 degrees but it was not that warm in the oven.

From your description, I'm a little confused. How do you know the temp is correct if the oven isn't hot? Verify it independently. You need to use an external thermometer to verify that the temp on the visual panel is the same as internal.

The issues can be that the heating element(s) have burned out.

On the 200 and others that have multiple heating elements, it could be as simple as one of the elements isn't working.

If the set temp (visual) and internal temp don't match (within a few degrees) it's either the heating element or the temp probe inside the smoker.

For the temp probe, make sure it's clean, that it hasn't been damaged and that nothing is touching it.
quote:
Originally posted by mbailey:
Must be something in the air? I put a load of butts on at 224 last night just like I always do and when they are usually done they were only reading about 165 (vs 180). Cleaned the smoker probe and put in 2 wireless probes to verify temp and at my 224 setpoint I was about 196 or so. Had to bump to 255 to maintain 225 in the smoker.

Is this typical for the probes to drift off? I don't know much about the mechanics of how they work I guess???? I'll be calling CS tomorrow!

This got me thinking... Maybe I should have a thermometer mounted on the door for an easy "double check" from time to time when I am walking by. Anyone have any suggestions for what to use? It would have to be long enough to be able to be mounted through the double walled thick door.

Check my post above about the heating element and temp probe.

For an independent thermometer, head down to the thermometer forum and have a read. You just need a simple wired external thermometer that you can put down through the vent hole.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.