Skip to main content

My first smoker! I went in whole hog, so to speak, with a cart, rib rack, cold smoke baffle, and seafood grill! So now I anxiously await delivery of my new cooking machine and my inevitable weight gain :-)

I've been reading the forum (great info). Anything I should look out for? The delightful sales person at Cookshack already recommended I season the AmeriQue for 8 hours.

Craig
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome! You're right about the weight gain. I am on a crazy diet right now. Results of the cookshack and my fondness of craft beer. Oh well, you can still smoke healthy foods. Unfortunately for me they haven't created carbless craft beer yet. Still waiting.

The best way to season your machine is to buy the biggest fattest hung of pork shoulder/butt and let that thing slow cook for 10-16 hours. Enjoy your purchase and see you in the forum. This is a great resource.
Congrats, your in for a lot of FUN and good eats. Smokin' has shared some of his wisdom with all of us. He started at the 1st of this thread.... lessons for newbies

Another thing that Smokin' has done for the new owners is his Smokin'Okies 101's.

Please feel free to use the search/find tab in the top left corner or like you will soon find, just start a new post with any question.

Good luck again, and personally I'd season that smoker with a nice Pork Butt, after I made sure it was gonna work.
You will love the AmeriQue. I have had mine for over 2 yrs., and it has been great. The guys gave you the right info on seasoning the new unit. Don't forget to line the bottom, and the wood box cover with foil. That really helps with keeping it clean. Also don't forget to poke a hole in the foil for water, and grease to drain. I forgot to put my catch pan in ONCE, what a mess. I also have an SM160, been doing catering, and needed the extra capacity.
Enjoy your new smoker when it arrives.
Gary i.
One thing to keep in mind... the Amerique is very efficient in laying down smoke flavor, due to it's design. Chicken, ribs and other meats/fish requiring less than 5 hrs of smoking benefit from less wood vs more. A 2 oz. piece of Hickory is more than enough for chicken and ribs. After some trial and error, you'll find your sweet spot.

Pork butts and briskets are a different matter. Try 4-6 oz of wood to begin with and adjust as necessary.

You've purchased a top notch electric smoker which will provide you years of great Que. Enjoy! Post your questions along the way...there are plenty of knowledable folks here to guide you.
Finally got my Amerique delivered yesterday!!!!!
Set it up and with the recommendation of some folks here smoked a big, fatty 10lb pork butt to season it. Worked perfectly and couldn't have been easier.

At near the end of the cooking cycle it started to rain a bit. What do you do to protect it if the unit is not in a covered area? Should you just stop cooking?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0195_(2)
Last edited by craigs720
quote:
At near the end of the cooking cycle it stated to rain a bit. What do you do to protect it if the unit is not in a covered area? Should you just stop cooking?

Next time you’re at Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, or whatever you have in your area pick up a disposable mortar mixing tub. Use it inverted over the top of your AQ with a brick on it for rain protection. You’ll also find it is the perfect size to soak your grates in for easy cleaning

You’re gonna love the way you smoke

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.