Skip to main content

Hi All!
Been browsing this forum since I got my SM025. I seasoned the chamber as instructed. I started off smoking 2 steaks as an experiment. We are ranchers and grow our own beef, so I selected a couple of nice T-Bones. On one I used a liquid rub that we use on our prime rib in the oven. On the other, just salt and pepper. Threw them in the smoker at 225 degrees for 55 minutes (145 degrees meat temp) and finished them by searing them on a hot grill. The hickory smoke coming from the smoker smelled very good. The one with the liquid rub didnt absorb any smoke, so that was a bad idea. The other one turned out sooooooo gooooood!!! Fast forward to the problem; Confident that I wasn't going to screw up, the next night I put 3 T-bones in to smoke. Salt and peppper only. The wood chunk that I had used before (2 oz.) was only charred a little on one side, so I used it again. I flipped it over so the un-charred side was down toward the element. Started smoker, went to break water open for the cows. Came back and the smoke smell was BAD. Smelled just like someone burning garbage, paper, etc. I finished the steaks just like the previous ones but could smell that bad smoke all the way through the process. I ate one ( I was HUNGRY), and it was nasty. Threw the other two into the garbage. I know you shouldnt do it but I cleaned the inside of the smoker to get that smell out. I just cant inagine that slightly used piece of wood would have done that, but has anyone else had this problem?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Didnt mean to be rude and not reply after asking a question, but my computer died. Anyway, the liquid rub was from the FIRST batch, and didnt allow the smoke to penetrate that piece of meat. The other pieces turned out fine. It is the second batch that was nasty. Maybe a couple of you hit the problem. I did not clean the smoker between batches. And, since I only did a couple steaks the first time, I didnt replace the foil or anything. So maybe I was burning some grease off the foil. Sound like that may be my problem?
quote:
Originally posted by grubbie:
Maybe a couple of you hit the problem. I did not clean the smoker between batches. And, since I only did a couple steaks the first time, I didnt replace the foil or anything. So maybe I was burning some grease off the foil. Sound like that may be my problem?

Personally, I don't think that's your problem. I used to change foil after every smoke, now I change it every 3-5 smokes, depending on how crusty it is. I think several other also do the same. My guess would be the wood. Throw a chunk in an empty smoker and see if you get the same bad smell.
Yeah I could give that a shot, but you said yourself you never had a problem re-using wood, thats why i figured it might be the grease. The experiment continues. Might be a few days but I will update and let you all know what, if anything, I find. Thanks all and happy new year!
Padrefan might have the answer, the left over dripping from that liquid smoke. When you use it in the oven as you first stated, the pan which it's on gets washed and I am assuming nothing drips into the oven.

I use the foil in my smoker over and over until I feel it's too crusty. There is plenty of left over meat grease in there and I have never had a problem. I have also reused wood before that has not completely charred or burnt to ash.

Let us know how your next smoke goes. You are lucky you raise your own, it certainly was a shame to waste all that beef, but imagine if you had to pay what us regular folks do for that cut! Good luck.
Well whatever it was,....it's gone. I used a new chunk of wood, cleaned it out, new foil, and did a dry run. Everything was fine so I did some more steaks, New York strips this time,...dang they were good. My wife has been gone for a couple weeks so this was her first taste from the new smoker. Smoked New Yorks with all the fixins and side dishes, and cleaned the kitchen afterwards. Im thinkin the sm025 gave a good start to a great night in grubbie-land.....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.