Skip to main content

I have a friend that has owned a couple of cheap smokers over the years and has loved my 2 ameriques (1 home and 1 at the lake) anyway he finally broke down and bought one at cabela's. They offer twice the return policy as buying direct I guess. Anyway he's smoked ribs twice and said the ribs have turned out terrible. Kind of a gritty coating on the meat. He knows how to smoke them and used 2 nice chunks of woods so i;m curious if i can offer him any advice. He used the wood that came with the new cookshack?? Any ideas?? He did not use to much wood and the meat is not black. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

More info would help determine the problem.

Was the smoker seasoned prior to the rib smoke?

What type of ribs and how much did they weigh?

How long and at what temp were they smoked?

Which rub was used and at what point was it applied?

How much wood was used? "Chunks" can vary in weight. 2-3 oz is sufficient for ribs.

If I had to guess, I'd say they were either under or over cooked...probably the latter.

The grit factor seems more related to the rub than anything else but hard to tell without more info.
quote:
Originally posted by martinibriree:
... turned out terrible. Kind of a gritty coating on the meat...

Like Max said, more info will help.

Tell him to join the forum and we'll help out.

Was it black, sooty, creosote (lighter fluid)taste?

Was it just a gritty taste or was it something else in the taste?

Terrible is how some people refer to my BBQ. Well, actually I think they said that's some Bad @#$ bbq.

We'll help him out if we can.
Why wouldn't a fella season the smoker first ?? It's not that time consuming or big a deal,I bet if he does follow through by seasoning it, then cooking off something fatty like a pork butt to give the walls of the smoker a little character the next thing he cooks will be great. And you only need like 2 oz. of wood for ribs, one chunk of the stuff Cookshack sends out.

This is a great crew of cooks and nice people here, your buddy needs to get online, read Smokin's 101s (hey Smokin' !!) and in no time he'll have the whole neighborhood lining up.
Thanks for the few replies, Even thou I am not a pro like all of you I did make a few of the same suggestions. Like I had mentined I have 2 model 066 (q's) myself and have zero issues. I have forwarded him the replies and suggestion to join the forum for any help or comments he may need.

Thanks Again!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.