Skip to main content

Got my new smoker a few days ago and went through the seasoning process and am ready for my first smoke. I purchased a 2.75lb PB from the local meat market and after some research on the forum, I am a little confused as to the cooking time I should use. I've seen 1.5 hours per pound but I have also seen someone saying it took 26 hours. I know I should cook to 195 degrees, but 26 hours for a small PB.

Suggestions.

Thanks All.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum. You're gonna love your smoker! Something that small shouldn't take more than 4 hours or so. But for timing things I'd add an extra hour, if it's done early you can foil it and hold it in a cooler. If it takes a little longer, well with the padding, dinner won't be late. Mine usually take 12-14 hrs but they're in the 8-10lb range. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
You'll get the best advice on these boards and from the CS staff. Hands down.

Def don't over think it, just keep good notes on your smokes and practice, practice practice.

My first few smokes were pretty nerve racking, but now, I prep, toss in smoker, use probes for thick meats, pull test for ribs, meat is done when it's done, and I consistently produce better product then you'll get in most restaurants.

Try other items also, fish, vegetables, etc.

Good luck, post some pic's.
Welcome! Like the others have said, you're going to love this smoker. Your PB will do fine. If you use an external probe you can pull it out when it gets in the 190-200 range.

If I were you with this piece of meat and wanted to serve it at dinner say 5pm. I would put it in the smoker at 8am. If it's done at noon, wrap it 3-4 times in heavy duty foil. Wrap in a towel and toss it in a cooler. If it takes longer, then you have plenty of time until 5pm. At 4:45pm pull it out and start pulling. You will be eating yummy morsels at 4:50pm and serving at 5:00pm.

My PB's are from costco and usually are in the 7-10 pd range. I put mine in at Midnight and usually have them in the cooler around 1-2pm.

Have fun! You're going to like it, and try to perfect everything so you love it. Don't worry though. Everyone will love the product right off the bat.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.