Skip to main content

I'm retired and on a fixed income so price is really important to me. I have a chance to pick up an unused Model 50 at a very good price. I've been able to figure out that this is a 10 year old model, but what's the big difference between it and the newer ones? I can see that the smokebox has been redesigned, but I'd like to hear from some Cookshack owners about it before I commit.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Found this on the Cabelas website.

Cookshack electric smokers are commercial grade smokers engineered to meet your exacting demands. Tough steel construction with stainless steel top surrounds 1,000? insulation so they're energy efficient and the outside remains safe to the touch. Thermostatically controlled heating elements run on household current and are adjustable from 100? to 250?. Food cooks at low temperature and there are no drafts of air moving through the smoker to dry the meat, and since no air enters the smoker to dry the meat, water isn't necessary. The Model 50 is 1,200 watts and can handle up to 30 pounds of meat or 10 chickens. It has five 14" x 14" shelves

The difference between the 050 and newer units:

Analog controls vs digital.

High end limit of 250 vs 300

14" x 14" shelves vs 14" x 18" shelves. That alone would make me think twice as you'll have difficulty smoking whole packer briskets and spares. Not that you can't; just more cumbersome due to the smaller size racks.

How much is it asking?
Last edited by maxq
The asking price is $600. The smaller size doesn't concern me too much as my plan here is to use this for smoking fish. I normally start first at 100°, then step it up every couple hours to a final temp of 170°. I have a Big Green Egg, but it's hard to do those low temps and maintain them. I don't think the upper limit would bother me based on what I'm going to do with it. I've been looking for a good, durable electric smoker and came across this one on Craig's List. I know that Cookshack is considered the Cadillac of smokers, hence my interest.

BTW, does it use wood or pellets?

Thanks so-o much for taking the time to respond!
It will use wood chunks which are available in a variety of flavors from the CS website.

$600 is a good price if everything works as it should. If it's never been used, you'll want to season it before smoking. 4 oz of wood for a couple hours will do the trick initially. Some folks smoke a pork butt next to add more seasoning.

One thing you may want to do is call Cookshack and ask for Bill or Tony in customer support. Inquire as to whether or not replacement parts are available should you need them. My concern would be the unused element. Chances are, it's fine but ask if it's replaceable...just in case.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
I have owned a Model 50 for many years. Still like it. Cookshack put a new thermostat in it a few months ago when I was picking up my new FE100, and it works as good as new.
I have never tried to cook fish. But with your stated goal of precise low temperatures, you may be disappointed. You will have at least 25 degree swings, and possibly as much as 50 degree swings in the temperature as the thermostat cycles. (But if you check most residential kitchen ovens, you have the same kind of swing).
I am also not sure that you will generate enough heat to cause the wood chunks to smolder and smoke at a 100 degree setting. I have never done it, but I think cold smoking is done with a tray of ice put into the cooker between the heat and the food, then the cooker is turned off after sufficient smoke is generated.
Model 50 makes a great holding oven for the home cook if you ever put on a big party too….
As to the $600 price, I think I gave about $800 for mine brand new back in the last century.
Boca, can't speak about smoking fish. However, I have a model 55, and it is just absolutely bomb proof. When I say that I mean thermonuclear war bombproof. Imho, these are way better than the original smokette's as they have more space, taller and you can hang your ribs. (They still make that model btw) Also, being analogue means they are much more tolerant of power issues. You got a great deal. Enjoy it. :-)
Thank you all for your guidance and responses. I finally decided to purchase a Smokin-It #2 electric smoker. It was an unused return that the company decided to sell to me at 50% off.

I was very concerned about buying a ten-year old smoker, albeit unused. I know that Cookshack is the Mercedes of cookers, but the reviews on the Smokin-It were excellent, and the price was less than half of what I would have payed for the Cookshack. (Please don't respond with a "You get what you pay for".)

I'm pretty experienced at smoking with a Big Green Egg which I've owned for over 25 years. This will be my first venture into an electric cooker and I'll be happy to report back on what I find.

Again, many thanks to everyone for their responses and guidance.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.