Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You will love the 045. As stated above, cover the heat shield and inside bottom of the smoker with foil. Get down and look at the bottom of the smoker under all of the heating unit, and you will see a vent hole. you need to make a hole in the foil for this. find a pan that will fit under the smoker, and place it so that it will collect any drips from this vent hole. There is also a hole in the lip under the door, and the pan should be big enough to catch the drips from this hole. Look at the inside back of the smoker and you will see a metal tube poking out. This is the thermometer that regulates the temps inside the smoker. Just remember that it is there, and needs to be clear for the smoker to work right. These smokers do not need a lot of wood to produce a good smoke flavor (much less than you are used to using). Enjoy your new smoker.
Thanks everyone! In the summer, I typically grill every night. I grill just about everything but the ice cream for desert. As I mentioned, I started smoking last fall and enjoy it. After a lot of research, I pulled the trigger on the 045 and it is great to see everyone reaffirming the choice. I am looking forward to smoking anything and everything over time! I've been perusing the forums and there is a lot good stuff there. Much to learn!
Hmmm,

So, if you have an 8lb butt, and on average it takes 1.5 to 2 hours per pd, it won't be ready very fast.

"normally" I think most of it start it late at night to finish the next day.

I would start it ASAP. Then once it hits 140 or 150 bump the temp up to 260 or 270 if you're wanting to eat tonight.

Depends on the size.
I started smoking at 0700 and planned on 1.5 hours/lb. It was planned for a shindig today (Saturday) but I hoped it would be done around 1700 and we could eat for supper. I had a backup plan in case, good thing. It took a full 2hrs/lb and wasn't done until 1930. It looks great, smelled great, pulled easily and should go down well today. I did make a double batch of Smokin Okie's baste and serving sauce for it...ummmm good stuff! Pic below (I hope).

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0093
That looks tasty.

I just did a pork butt the other day and normally use Smokin's Finishing Sauce. This time I decided to kick it up a notch and tried Smokin's Vinegar Mop as a finishing sauce. I made a triple batch and have 2 large squirt bottles left over. I've tried it before, and my daughter still raves about it. Adds a nice vinegary flavor with a little kick. Excellent with pulled pork. Ratio is 1/2 cup/lb of pulled pork.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.