Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

CS replaced the original controller when it failed after about 15 months. That unit just failed two weeks ago and Tony at CS offered to test the unit after suggesting that most failures were related to power surges mad moisture getting into the unit.
The unit is only plugged in when in use and is on my covered deck with CS cover on when not in use.
I ordered a new controller, due for delivery next week.
Smoker is used maybe twice a month and I couldn't be happier with the results.
Just this vexing controller failure issue. And replacement controllers aren't cheap.
Jerry, you received suggestions and advice from Smokin and Tony. Hardly "deafening".

I'd agree that 3 failed controllers in 3 years is not the norm but most of us aren't able to diagnose your problem. The most common issue of an electric smoker stored outdoor is excessive moisture in the heat elements...causing a GFI reset.

Best advice I can think of is to send the failed unit back to Tony and see what he comes up with.

Good luck.
Seems the idea of excessive moisture is possible, but where you live, I think it is a drier environment than most living areas around the state. That is, in the winter, snow season sucks the mositure out of the air and the in the summer things are not much better.

If anything, static electricity is an issue all year round. How you can minimize this is a good question. Is your power source properly grounded all the way up to the power delivery to the house? Just trying to give you ideas...
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry U:
... CS itself is deafening

CS doesn't monitor the forum. Their preferred method is for you to approach them direct which I suggest you do.

They want to know all the issues and problems and they've replaced whole smokers before.

I don't see any mention of talking to them but I would give them a call and talk about the reoccurring problem.

My guess if it's a controller multiple times it's not the unit itself but something causing it either in the unit itself or something external (power?).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.