Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok everybody, my first smoke is done! Not a very good experience but, I am encouraged to press on. I did a 3# rack of nice baby back ribs with the c.s. rub and 2 oz. of hard maple for 3.5 hr. at 225 degrees. The meat was perfectly cooked but, very strong. Anybody have experience with what I call "hard Maple"? The reason I want to use it is I have almost a lifetime supply of it. The company I worked for use this wood for a wear block on heavy duty log chain conveyors. We purchased it from a supplier in the southeast. It is more dense than oak and smoke beautifully. Any experiences or advice?......Dick
Try less wood. I know you have access to the almost lifetime supply but if you don't get good results using it then it's not worth using. I have the same rub and get terrific results.

I found an assortment of smoking woods, cut and pre dried that I LOVE. A box has 88 pieces: cherry, red oak, maple and hickory. Each piece is roughly 1 x 3 inches and weights just 2 oz. For ribs I prefer apple wood or maple.
Ahhhh the chicken! It was delicious, I find that the skin takes most of the smoke. It had a strong smoke odor while the meat was very delicate. I used a johnny's rub which what I am most used to and it was as I expected. I think some of the "strong" character I experienced with the ribs was the c.s. rub. Like everyone says, experiment and keep good notes........Dick
Yes Andy, I did use the '05 rub on the ribs. mmmmm, I think you may have something. I used my maple both times but, not as much on the chicken. I think it produces a very intense smoke. With the skin on the chicken I could have used a full 2oz. In defense of the cs rub, it certainly has many more ingredients in it than the johnny's. I'm a bit of a weenie when it comes to strong spices so it could be my taste. I have more of the original ribs so am anxious to do some more experimenting. I have some hickory and cherry chips from my old big chief. I'll try some of those. My only experience in smoking was with the chief and my salmon catches. I feel very comfortable in producing good results with the fish......Dick
Don't let the number of ingredients throw you. I've got a Santa Maria rub with six ingredients that is pretty strong. My Memphis rib rub has 14 ingredients and is fairly mild. So unless you can tell by the ingredients and quantities (which I can't very well like MaxQ), it comes down to tasting it or seeing recommendations by others.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.