Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Agree with Andy. I haven't done brisket since I started getting choice plate short ribs at Restaurant Depot. Sam's are pretty good too and not quite so fatty. Definitely a different flavor than brisket- sort of like smoked pot roast on a stick. I avoid chuck short ribs since they seem not as meaty and much less flavorful when done.
Just made some the other day. I went to Safeway and spoke to the butcher. I asked if he had any shortribs. I then requested before he bandsawed the ribs into short ribs, could I just have four ribs, uncut. Scored two racks of four each for a dinner party. Just used kosher salt and large ground pepper on all sides. Just check with your local supermarket.
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
I avoid chuck short ribs since they seem not as meaty and much less flavorful when done.

Wish I could get plate ribs in the Chicago area. Nothing but chuck available around here.

quote:
Originally posted by olysmokes:
Yes, agree plate ribs are much better than chuck ribs. Plate ribs usually about 6-8 hours for a cook depending on size & temps you're smoking at. Too bad plate ribs are hard to get here in Pacific Northwest. (I don't belong to Restaurant Depot).

One of the benefits of a KCBS membership is free day passes to Restaurant Depot. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
/QUOTE]

Wish I could get plate ribs in the Chicago area. Nothing but chuck available around here.

quote:
Originally posted by olysmokes:
Yes, agree plate ribs are much better than chuck ribs. Plate ribs usually about 6-8 hours for a cook depending on size & temps you're smoking at. Too bad plate ribs are hard to get here in Pacific Northwest. (I don't belong to Restaurant Depot).

One of the benefits of a KCBS membership is free day passes to Restaurant Depot. Wink

AndyJ - I would join KCBS to get access to Restaurant Depot, but R-D is an hour plus away from me (if traffic is good). At least a 2-hour drive for plate ribs is not worth it to me. Will probably just stick with chuck ribs from supermarket unless local butcher shop maybe has some for about $12/lb - yikes!
Oly:

Here is what I have discovered in my search of the Meat Packers. They basically don't want to mess with these small special requests. I finally went to the local Albertson's. I talked to the meat cutter. I took a picture of the Plate Ribs. He said these are "Short Ribs" before we cut them. He brought out a large package of them. He then said to wait until the short ribs go on sale, and ask for Un-cut short ribs to get the sale price. The same thing with getting just the Brisket point. Wait for the sale price and they will cut just the point.
Hey Mike,

My experience is that they cut chuck "short ribs" across the bone thin for "flanken style" (mainly used for Korean-style or such), or if cut thick enough, for grilling. But chuck short ribs have a much smaller bone cross-section than plate short ribs. I don't think I've ever seen plate short ribs cut "flanken style." I usually see them cut as about 2 or 3 inch sections for braising. I have successfully bought plate ribs in a cryovac from Sam's, but had to buy the entire 4-pack of three-rib sections, at the same per lb price as the cut ones, about 18 lbs total. Still, I thought it a pretty good deal. They were choice, and turned out really good.
Jay: I am sort of confused by what I am reading and what to expect. It looks like the Butchers have a book with different meat cuts. The Plate ribs fall into either IMPS 123a, or IMPS 130. IMPS 130 are the Chuck ribs and usually come in 4 bone racks. IMPS 123a is what they use for short ribs, and come in 3 bone racks. The 3 bone racks where the ones I saw yesterday. 4 racks per cryovac, but since they were going to open the bag to cut them into smaller "Short Rib" sections, I could have bought the whole bag, or just one rack.
Mike, It's been a long time since I looked at the meat cutting codes, so I would have to refresh my memory. I was just referring to the packaging I see in supermarkets and especially in places like Restaurant Depot and Sam's, where a clear distinction is made between "plate" and "chuck" short ribs. I've seen both "plate" and "chuck" short ribs (clearly labeled as such) sold in RD in cryovac packs of multiple racks. If the butcher codes consider chuck short ribs as a subset of plate ribs, then I'm confused too. I think it's possible that there is a "colloquial" usage of the terms, even by butchers, that may not strictly conform to the codes. Maybe some of the experienced meat guys here can chime in.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.