Skip to main content

I noticed recently that moisture was getting behind the display screen on my Amerique. Now, when I turn it on, I just get parts of numbers or something flashing across the screen. I can not set temperature or do anything with it. Are these units repairable? If so, where would I send it? Thanks in advance for any information.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have never had an issue with any of my CookShack smokers. Maybe I’m just lucky. I have contacted customer service a time or two by phone or email and I can say they have always been Johnny-On-The-Spot, always helpful and knowledgeable. Gary’s advice is spot on, give them a call. I doubt the problem you described can be handled without them. I’m guessing you’ll be as impressed with their helpfulness as everyone else here has been.
given you are in Fargo, it may be an issue with the outside temperature.

As advised, just call CS and they'll help you out. It may not be a replacement, just a hair dryer. I use a hairdryer and open up the panel and dry behind it IF moisture gets it, but that's on my FEC 500 (similar panel to yours)
I am about ready to just junk my Amerique... in the summer the display fails as it is too hot and now in the winter it fails as it is to cold. The folks at CS are always great but IMO this early version Amerique (2006) is a flawed design that should have never been sold..JMHO. I had a 55 and foolishly sold it... it never failed.. regardless of the temp, sun or moon phase.

When I want to cook on the "shack" I don't want to take out umbrellas or hair dryers.... Not for the cost of these units.
Last edited by cigarnv
I had an SM008 and eventually went to the SM150.
In the 7 months I've had it we've been thru a number of snow storms, five or six heat waves, a hurricane and horrible cold snaps. Every time I uncover my SM150 and fire it up it works flawlessly.
Remember guys these smokers with the panels have little computers in them. Extreme heat, moisture or cold play havoc with any computer. Anyone whining about not wanting to improvise a little to get the unit started: Imagine that computer you're sitting behind typing, think it could handle the extremes in temperature and moisture ?? I think not.

I've updated my post so I don't come across as so snarky: One thing I have that you may not, I have a fitted Cookshack cover for my SM150 - a really good investment. I imagine one of the reasons I don't have trouble (or haven't had it yet) is I have the machine covered. It's 28 today and I'm smoking baby back ribs for my neighbors, I'm pretty sure that cover really helps my smoker stay dry and possibly a little warmer. Good luck with your smoker, warming up the back and front of the smoker control panel may sound weird, but imagine having a stick burner of a smoker where you gotta be out there all day (or night) feeding the fire and trying to maintain a consistent temperature. With that little mental image in mind warming up the head unit with a hair dryer doesn't seem so "stupid".
Last edited by bigmikeinnj
Big Mike.... I have owned Shacks since 2005 so with all due respect I think I know them pretty well. As for a cover... yes I have the fitted CS cover as well as a tarp I cover that with. And beleive it or not I don't use my laptop in the rain Smiler

As for improvising I do it with the best of them from hair dryers,heating pads, umbrellas, sheet pan rain covers, offset vent pipes, voodoo dolls, etc. so please don't think I haven't tried everything within reason. Bottom line is the original Amerique's were IMO problematic and have a different set of electronics than you have on your much newer unit.Also I have come to find there was a fit and finish issue that allowed water in through a seam gap. The initial Amerique was also IMO under powered at 800 watts. I appreciate your support for CS but it does them and us no good to sugar coat a problem and just say the operator is not flexible enough and or does not understand the unique requirements of the device.

So lets fast forward..... as I said early on I have been a big CS supporter. I have worked with Bill and Tony for many years on various issus... great guys who will do anything for you. I also met Stuart, Eddie and a number of the CS team at a cooking class in Ponca City years back. It was determined that the whole control unit was bad and no amount of heat, cold, hair dryers, umbrellas or user flexibility was going to solve the problem. Bill suggested I replace the entire control unit which is the entire top of the Amerique. They worked with me on the replacement part given the number of issues we had gone through. In the process of replacing the top the seam leak was discovered and all the wet insulation dried and replaced. Also it was apparent that nothing was sealed with silicon caulking, including the vent nipples... all adding to the moisture issues.

The entire top and control unit was replaced, all damp / wet insulation was oven dried, heating element was previously upgraded to 1000 watts, all seams and vent nipples sealed with silicon sealent, seam gap filled .... entire process took about 2 hours.

All seems to be working well at this time.... the upgraded control unit is a massive improvement and the unit kicked on perfectly at 29F yesterday morning.

PS.... I was contacted by two forum members about my issues as they were considering a purchase. In both cases I stressed that I felt my issues revolved around the early Amerique electronics issues and they should have 100% confidence that the current models were greatly improved. I also stressed there was no better electric smoker on the market nor better folks to deal with.
Last edited by cigarnv

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.