Skip to main content

I ran across a used and obviously older model 008 (after some research I learned they don't make them anymore) it works good as far as I can tell. Warmed up to temp fine and in good condition. Anyway, right now I have it stored in my garage but it's kind of a pain to get it from the garage to the patio where I will be using it. If I get a cover, will it be ok to store outside?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My first Cookshack was also a used older SM008, it came with no shelves so I sprung for the stainless steel shelves and a Cookshack cover and some jerky rods. Buy the ones made for the SM009. They're tough little tanks, it was the first smoker Cookshack made intended to do pork butts, brisket and ribs. I now own a used SM150 (the elder version of the SM160). Read Smokin's 101s and go easy on yourself, do a pork butt first. Hard to go wrong with a pork butt. In no time you'll be the most popular guy in the neighborhood, not only will the people on your block like you, their dogs will love you !!
And to answer your question, I live in central Jersey and with a cover you can leave it outside all year. I did and now do with my SM150. The SM008 is a dead simple unit, reminds me of an old Army jeep, tough and can take a real beating and consistently work.

Im older and the one rub I had with the SM008 was it was so short I had to get on a chair or my knees to do the setup. A lot of fellas find a heavy stainless steel cart or wooden tablewith casters and put the SM008 on top. Then it's right at waist height. Check out my SM150 in snow, shoveled and salted the deck, opened the umbrella bolted to the railing and did a carnitas style pork butt (rubbed it with bulk taco seasoning). Let it run at 225 degrees about 12 hours overnight without a hitch. Ain't nothing you can't do with a Cookshack.

`This is the finished product, carnitas pork butt, smoked pinto beans and something called Pebre in Chile, a tomato/onion/mild green chile/cilantro relish - no lemon juice, us olive oil instead to loosen it up, in summer cut the cobs off an uncooked ear of farm corn. Plop some of this on a soft taco and it's party time.

Last edited by bigmikeinnj
Since the 008 is discontinued, where would I get a cover for it?
Thanks for the great info so far!! I'm not new to smoking, just to smokeshack. I have an UDS and a Traeger Jr. didn't really "need" another smoker but ran across it and couldn't resist!! My traeger can be temperamental on long cooks and windy days, or cold weather so I figure it would be perfect for brisket cooks or when it's cold. If I'm really happy with it, it may replace the Traeger!! I'm going to do a butt on it this weekend for its trial run.
I have a 009, it sits on a home built wood table on our patio which is covered from the elements, however the smoker is uncovered all the time. If I was to look for a cover I would start at Home Depot or Lowes and find something to cover it. If the smoker was in the elements all the time I would cover it to at least try to protect from moisture just my $.02 worth...
You can use a cover for an SM009, it the same size and shape, that is exactly what I bought and it was fantastic !! Look at the bottom of this page for the Cookshack Barbecue & Smoke-Cooking Center link, click on that and then choose Residental Smoker and then click on Accessories on the side of that page. Scroll down and you will find shelves, covers, jerky rods, the whole shebang.
Yes they SEEM pricey but are made of a very heavy and weather resistant fabric, they are fittest like the finest suit off Saville Row, mine 150 cover even has a side zipper. I had my SM150 out on our deck during Hurricane Sandy, which passed right through here, and once we got power back all I had to do was remove tree limb debris from the deck, plug her in and when I removed the cover it was all dry as a bone and ready to go. Think of your smoker as a lifetime investment, I know I do of my SM150. You see the guy next door in my first photo, he does more stuff for us, when I got my SM150 we used his truck to go 70 miles to pick it up. He is now the proud owner of a used SM008, new stainless steel shelves, new power cord, new vent nozzle and new cover included. All that stuff SEEMS pricey but I'm telling ya, it's a really great smoker worthy of a little love.
I have no doubt they're probably really good quality and will do a great job of protecting it from the elements, but the $30 cover I have for my gas grill has no problem keeping it dry. The price of the cover is almost what I paid for the smoker itself!!
I understand about them being investments, I have covers for all my smokers and grills (4 plus the new addition) I just have a hard time spending that much on a cover that small.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.