Skip to main content

Well Im back with the same problem...seem the power cord got so hot that it melted the end of the cord it was plugged into, which is made up of 10/3 wire. I though that using this wire would be like having it plugged directly in to a outlet... the wire is about 12-25 foot long...20 amp wire.
was this the problem ??? Did I do it to myself ??

Any idea's out there...thanks Chet www.cambellysbbq.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If I understand your description, you have your smoker power cord plugged into a larger-capacity cord, and the end of the larger-capacity cord melted near the connection between the two cords. To me, that points to a corrosion or other bad contact problem at the connection between the cords, causing some leakage to ground (a partial short).
Call Tech Support and they might email a diagram for connecting a longer cord direct to the smoker. Far better than using an extension. Just keep in mind that the longer cord reduces end voltage.

As for your problem of the cord heating up, check that the male spades are spread sufficiently to make a good firm contact with no play.
quote:
Originally posted by Chet:
Well Im back with the same problem...seem the power cord got so hot that it melted the end of the cord it was plugged into, which is made up of 10/3 wire. I though that using this wire would be like having it plugged directly in to a outlet... the wire is about 12-25 foot long...20 amp wire.
was this the problem ??? Did I do it to myself ?? Thanks Jay, I think you're right...I'm gonna replace the power cord from the cookshack and run a U 12/2 wire from the main box with it's own 20 amp breaker and box hopefully that will do the trick...

Any idea's out there...thanks Chet www.cambellysbbq.com

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.