Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I used too much wood on the chicken and over cooked them a bit too. They cooked for about 3 1/2 hours. I didn't trust the temp probe reading but I should have and will next time.They were still good but way over smoked. I also thought it was funny the way the grates cut though the skin on the backside. Anyway, I made some delicious chicken salad out of most of it. The rest I chopped and added sauce for sandwiches. I was impressed with how well the new design of the wood try burns wood. Turned it all into ash.
Today I'm doing the ribs. Just put on three 3 to 4 pound slabs. Wish me luck!

Last edited by bigwallyj
A couple of thoughts for your next chickens,
1.) Spatchcock the birds - see Smokin Okie's 101's for a how-to-do that. I find both the white and dark meat come to proper temps at same time, plus your smoking time is reduced.
2.) Coating the chicken skin first with a little mayonnaise and then the rub/seasoning helps keep skin looking golden brown when it comes out of smoker. For good crispy skin, you will then need a few moments on your (gas) grill or hot oven to achieve that.

Good luck and have fun!!
Great post. Everyone has their own particular taste for smoke. I use a digital scale to weigh my wood and cut it into pieces of roughly 1, 2 and 3 ounces which gives me a good mix of weights to use for a subtle smoke. Of course I have heavier chunks for a longer smoke as the small pieces turn to ash rather quickly. But I find a 2 or 3 ounce chunk to be more than adequate for my family's taste.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.