Skip to main content

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome in the other post. My AmeriQue is being delivered tomorrow and I cannot wait to get started. I was talking to my butcher and he recommended using a water pan JUST for the seasoning process in order to get the chemicals and such out of there. I know the AQ has a really moist cooking environment and may not need it so I figured I'd ask you guys. I've got 2 5 pound pork butts anxiously awaiting in my fridge!!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome. I own an sm025 and never use liquid, unless of course you want it for some kind of flavoring, like using a container with wine or juice and herbs, etc. I know for sure that the 025 requires no liquid for the initial burn, nor do you need it for your first smoke.

I have never heard of anyone using water for the break in for any other cookshack either.

Perhaps your butcher has never seen a cookshack, but they come clean, never had any funny chemical smell when I was burning in.

I suggest you just follow the manual. Iam sure they would suggest a wash out if they felt there was some kind of residue left.

Good luck, you will really like the food you make in there!
Personally,I'd smile and thank the butcher for his advice, as he probably has broken in lots of smokers Roll Eyes-and cleaned up the additional mess.

Then,if you have a favorite sports team,wear a T shirt with their colors and chill at least a four pack of your favorite beverage[one per hour].

Insert pork butt,or fatty meats of some kind,close the door,set your temp to 250º.

Go watch your team on TV and take a nap after the event.

After all this ,stroll casually out to the cooker,open the door and be amazed at your new found expertise.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.