Skip to main content

Since being told about Cookshack by friend Skip, I have been reading and learning from the forums. Most other things are out of the way now so it was time to purchase my 045. It came yesterday, and the baby backs are in now. Using 2 chunks of Cherry that came with the 045. Had the ribs in the fridge overnite with texas original rub. It is cooking at 275 with the baked beans underneath on rack 3. It will be done when it's done.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Guess I have been reading and watching too many videos. I will definitely try. Thanks for the advise.

quote:
Originally posted by G Que:
Congrats on you're new cookshack smoker, on ribs or any pork the pros on forum doesn't recommend seasoning pork overnite cuz it will give it a hammy flavor. Recommendation is to season for an hour or so before putting into smoker.
Most important thing, take notes. That way you can look back on what worked and what didn't. Check out Smokin Okie's 101s at the top of the various forums. A wealth of information there. He's taught most of us here how to make fantastic que.

And welcome to the forum! Don't be afraid to ask questions, we don't bite. Post pics of your various smokes. We like pictures. Wink

How did the ribs turn out?
Hi, I'm also a newbie to CS, having now done pork baby backs and beef prime rib bones. Luckily, local butcher was able to sell me dry aged prime rib bones, and they were really meaty and good. (All in all, I still prefer the pork.) Cooking my first brisket in a couple of days.

What has impressed me most about CS? How little wood it takes to get a really great flavor.

To any other newbies I'd give this advice. Believe what they tell you about amounts. Weigh the wood. I couldn't believe that 2 oz of hickory would flavor all that beef. But it did, and with none of the greasy creosote flavor you can get with too much smoke.
Thanks for the notes and advice. I drive semi and have been out of town so just now getting back. (I am not one for a lot of electronic stuff on road). I did take picks and will try to add some of the ribs. They were the best I have done. We had a couple left so I just finished them for late supper tonight. Next up is a turkey and then more ribs. I am taking a plethora of notes, [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.