Skip to main content

I put my chrome racks in the dishwasher and they seem to have a small amount of rust on them. That kind of surprised me. Should I order the stainless racks? I would like to have shiny clean racks when I start a new smoke. Will stainless racks go through the dishwasher without getting and rust on them? I have seen some grades of stainless that did the same thing.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My SM025 smoker is not new. It is about 21 months old. I bought it from a friend that just bought a FEC100. He said he used it about 10 or 12 times (he also has another smoker he has been using). I have used it twice. My old smoker was stainless, but I had to get a little elbow grease out each time I cleaned it so I know I will be scrubbing on them in the future. I may call CS and see what it would cost to buy a couple of stainless ones.
quote:
Originally posted by DeanOK:
Ordered a couple of stainless grates. Would rather have something I can scrub the heck out of and not worry about it.

All you need for cleaning for standard issue grills or SS grills is a plastic scrubbie-type sponge. Sponge on one side scrubbie-type stuff on the other side. The thing with SS is you can soak 'em overnight and they won't tarnish or rust.
I picked up a relevant tip somewhere along the way that others may find useful.

Any folded or spot welded metal will retain moisture after cleaning/drying and will try and rust. Sheet pans, cake pans, cookie cutters, cooling racks, and of course grill racks.

After a soak, clean, rinse and surface dry, I put them in the oven to completely dry. If oven is not already warm I'll turn it on for a few min. Let stuff dry overnight.

Note: Oven is warm but OFF.

Works for me.

Regards,

Dave

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.