Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's a good solid unit - there is currently an SM050 on eBay going for $450.00 and when I saw that I said "wow, good price". I BELIEVE the SM055 is an "updated" version of the SM050.

Really a solid no nonsense unit, 5 shelves, manual temperature control. Rocking for pork butts, brisket, ribs. $275.00 is a very good price. Really all you want to do is see that the door seals up tight when you close/lock it, and that when tured on it SMOKES. Call the seller before you go and ask him to fire it up with a small chunk of wood in it. You'll be able to safely unplug it and pick it up - the insulation keeps the outside of these things quite cool considering.

Good find !!
quote:
Originally posted by BigMikeinNJ:
Good deal my friend, was dying to login this morning and find your update !!
You did good... Pork butt on the menu this weekend ?? LOL

Thanks for the help BigMike! I'm in Canada and these things are as rare as a three dollar bill to find used. My only other option was a new Cookshack that was going to cost almost 5 times as much as I paid for this one.

I had a stick burning off-set that I burned out. I wanted to get something else that didn't need so much babysitting.

Think I may do some chickens as a test run.
Run a pork butt, it is the easiest thing to make and really fool proof. Do some reading on smoking chickens here - use the SEARCH function. You'll be a lot happier trying a pork butt, think pulled pork BBQ, then try a brisket or some pork ribs. Save the chicken - or smoke the chicken for flavor and then pop it on a grill to crisp up the outside skin nice-nice.
quote:
Run a pork butt, it is the easiest thing to make and really fool proof. Do some reading on smoking chickens here - use the SEARCH function. You'll be a lot happier trying a pork butt, think pulled pork BBQ, then try a brisket or some pork ribs. Save the chicken - or smoke the chicken for flavor and then pop it on a grill to crisp up the outside skin nice-nice.

Will have to put in an order at the butcher. I can get boneless picnic fairly easy, butts and brisket are faced with lots of questions as to why I would want those. Smiler

Canada is H E double hockey sticks for anything BBQ.
RZ

Can you get access to exotic meat like elk or deer or such ?? You could do a pork LOIN if it has a big fat cap on it. You might need to go to a larger town that has a big meat market. I lived in Chile for a year and they had butcher shops and huge markets with really good meat departments - BUT the meat cuts were really different there. You could get 15 kinds of ham that the deli's and even convenience stores had that they would thin slice and sell by the pound BUT try to find a ham to bake yourself, no chance. The butcher didn't comprende... Same with beef cuts, some very different looking stuff. Most of the meat was from Argentina and Brazil and was outstanding, just cut very differently.

DO a lot of searching on chickens. Brining is a big part of it - brine overnight and then "splatchcock" the body in half and smoke in your 55. Then flip onto the grill to crisp the skin. You'll get great flavor but a rubbery skin because of low smoker temps.

Enjoy that puppy !!
quote:
RZ

Can you get access to exotic meat like elk or deer or such ?? You could do a pork LOIN if it has a big fat cap on it. You might need to go to a larger town that has a big meat market. I lived in Chile for a year and they had butcher shops and huge markets with really good meat departments - BUT the meat cuts were really different there. You could get 15 kinds of ham that the deli's and even convenience stores had that they would thin slice and sell by the pound BUT try to find a ham to bake yourself, no chance. The butcher didn't comprende... Same with beef cuts, some very different looking stuff. Most of the meat was from Argentina and Brazil and was outstanding, just cut very differently.

DO a lot of searching on chickens. Brining is a big part of it - brine overnight and then "splatchcock" the body in half and smoke in your 55. Then flip onto the grill to crisp the skin. You'll get great flavor but a rubbery skin because of low smoker temps.

Enjoy that puppy !!

Haven't really looked for deer, elk, or moose. Only time I've had deer or moose is when my uncles have shot one. Nearest elk is probably at least a thousand miles away. I'm in Waterloo Ontario which is about an hour west of Toronto.

Lots of good meat available locally, it's just the more "exotic" cuts of meat like pork butts and beef brisket and such is not as easy to find.

I understand the rubber skin on poultry. I normally would smoke chickens standing (pic below) up on a stand and the skin would come out dry and edible and not rubbery. Curious to see how they turn out in the Cookshack.

Also, just took the racks out of the dishwasher and they look brand new! Sprayed down the inside of the smoker with Orange TKO and scraped down the inside with a plastic scraper. Progress!

I debated to clean it down to bare stainless. Figured I'd start from scratch that way I know what has been in there. For all I know the previous owner used pine needles to smoke with.

Ran it last night empty, just a pan with a gallon of water in it. Smoker is bang on with temp control. Cranked it to 250 and reached 250 within 30 minutes. Cycled back on once it reached about 200. Ran it for 7 hours like that, and only used 2.5KW of power.

Put in a 2.9oz chunk of hickory at 4:00pm this afternoon for the season smoke. It smells incredible, all the neighbours are already asking whats that great smell.

I can hear all the livestock starting to get real nervous!

I think I'm going to like this machine.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.