Skip to main content

Put some butts on yesterday and then last night we had a hellacious thunderstorm. This morning temp is set to 235 but smoker at 227 and it is doing a lot of clicking. I am wondering if the water could have hurt the control board or if something else is going on. Hopefully it will dry out in the sun today and all will be well but any ideas about that relay sound?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My Amerique also clicks a lot and has done so since it was new - it's 5+ years old now. I have always assumed that was it's normal operation. I theorized the unit is designed to slowly bring itself back up to temperature by using only short bursts of eletricity to the heating element - hence the relay clicking on/off, rather than a steady burst of heat to element (like at start-up) which would cause your wood chunks to burn-up faster/ignite. I have not verified with Cookshack my "theory" so I may be off base. Like is often suggested here, if you have any concerns call Cookshack customer service and talk with Tony or Bill - they are great folks!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.