Skip to main content

Just a couple thoughts about a question some ownners may have.First, as we use the cooker more often,the door leaks tend to lessen.

Many of us aren't sure that is always good.

If the door fits so tight that not even smoke can escape,how can we possibly hope to run three,or four thermometer cables out, when the probes are inserted into meats.

Some folks question about any smoke emitting from a smoker,and wondered if it should look and act like their refrigerator. Confused

If you think about any other smoker you have seen,there is smoke leaking.There always starts out with an air intake and exhaust ,so air can exchange and not set stale on the meats.
Stale ,non moving air/smoke can give that creosote taste.

A few extra sites where smoke can leak, usually points to more air being drawn by the fire and even cleaner smoke on the food.It also lessens condensation,which is sometimes unusually high on a typical CS.
Many of us often open the door occasionally,just to dump the moisture and the smoke along with it.

Many of us have had bullet style smokers with no leaks and were forced to drill some leaks/holes to help the stale smoke/air move out.

Remember,even those"airtight" crockpots lift the lids as some steam escapes.

Amazing how the Cookshack family planned those slight leaks in over half a century ago to develop what is still one of the best brisket cookers around. Cool

Just a couple thoughts to ponder. Wink
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Funny you should mention this. Thought about it a fair amount when I first got my CS about 3 years ago. After a while I stopped thinking about it -- not sure when -- but thinking back to the last cook, I did not see any smoke leak around the door. Guess it sealed up at some point...
Before my Cookshack, I had a water smoker that leaked like a sieve. Actually thought it was kinday neat. Then I bought the Cookshack Elite, and it leaked a little by the upper left hand door. I remember thinking "Man. These things are built well." Never thought about it much again. I think it's pretty well stopped by now, but I'll have to check it during my next smoke to make sure.
I "fixed" my leak by wedging the slide lock between the bar on the unit and the latch.

Later I found that I wanted it to breathe a bit more so as to SLIGHTLY lessen the amount of moisture kept inside. So I just latched the door normally.

Now I have the OPTION to be airtight or a slight leak. It's a FEATURE on my unit!! And I love it!!!

Sooooooo....... anybody jealous?? Big Grin
I don't count door leaks as a good thing as some do. Doors are meant to be open or shut with a good fit. If Cookshack wanted more air to move or less condensation or a channel for thermometer cables I would guess that they would have installed that, no?. To me a leak is a leak is a leak.

But I'm an old pipefitter that's been fighting leaks my whole life, HA!
Yeah I hear you Sam, in your line of work, ANY leak would be bad,

But, this is different. It's a smoker, and 99% of them, after a number of uses, seal themselves up. By design, this is how they've made it, and the fact that they've been making them for 50 years, I think there a lot of experience there. Oh, and don't forget airflow that's important too.

Just go buy a stickburner and see how much it leaks.

Given the years they will be around, it's better that the final seal come from something as simple as use/seasoning. If over the years it was abused and didn't fit well from a perfectly fit door, then there would be air leaks and people would complain.

It's a smoker, it's made to smoke and even a little around the door shouldn't ever been an issue. It's supposed to be outside.

Personally I like enough smoke so I can smell it.
I contacted you when my warranty was still good. Weld spatter on the face the door seals against. You didn't help me. This is a factory defect that you refused to fix.

I'm stuck with a Cookshack smoker that won't work properly bcause it lets in too much air, burning up all my wood, which covers my food with creosote. Next step is the BBB. Perhaps I can get some satisfaction from them. Then the DAV. I can take pics, which you never asked for.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.