Skip to main content

I have read over various threads dating back 6 years and there is not a definitive answer to this question which seems to be somewhat common.

The first time I used the smoker I used the complemtary wood that came with my SM025. The chunk(s) turned to a nice ash. Subsequent smokes week after week and the wood chunks were not turning to ash anymore and the smoke was greatly reduced. Now I get coal chunks. (yes the heat element I tweaked up slightly).

I live not far from the pacific ocean in the foggiest, most damp area of the San Francisco bay area. Even though the wood is stored/protected in the garage the high water content of the air is suspected to be the culprit of the drop off in my smoke production. So I came across a form where a guy suggested microwaving the wood to draw the water back out before smoking. It looks like I have my smoke back.

To me it seems my coal production implies a lack of O2 needed for an actual smolder. So the more wood in the box, the more O2 is needed for a smolder so a higher chance of coal production would result. Does this make sense? Logic may imply that maybe I use too much wood?

So what should I strive for… coal or ash?

Time to brag about the awesome Smoked Salmon I have been making. One $120 trip on a Sausalito boat and I come back with close to 30lbs of salmon. I used an Alton Brown instructions rub for 12 hrs and smoked at 200deg till a temp of 140 and viola… my friends are flabbergasted how good it is. It came out so good I bought a foodsaver at Costco.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's not really a matter of coal or ash, but the type of smoke you're getting. Smokinokie taught that ideally, you want the thin "blue" smoke vs the thick white smoke that is initially produced.

When I had use of my Smokette or Amerique, I normally used Hickory chunks (sometimes Cherry or Oak). I cut them down to 1 - 1.5 oz so I could control the amount of wood by weight. For ribs, 2 - 2.5 oz would suffice. A big meat (Butt or Brisket) might require 4 oz tops. Generally, less is more as it's very easy to over do it.

After the white smoke dies out (30 minutes or so) watch the flue for a light, thin stream of almost clear smoke...that's your goal.

Does that make sense? Glad to hear you've honed your smoked salmon process.
I'm in Napa right now and I saw those boats with the Salmon fishing, I just don't have a smoker in the RV. Only a gas grill. I'm sure the humidity is a culprit, try keeping it dry (vacu seal it after drying in an oven), and go with smaller chunks if you have to like Max said.
If your product is "awesome," I guess I wouldn't worry too much about the appearance of the smoke or the wood residue. Congratulations on your smoked salmon! I've been spending a lot of time this summer filling the freezer with it for winter. I haven't tried Alton Brown's dry rub technique; I've been very happy with Mr. T's brine overnight and then letting a good pellicle form before smoking. I also smoke at 200, to an IT of 145 - 148, in my AQ. It generally takes about 80 minutes or so. Usually the two small chunks of wood (about two ounces) don't completely burn up, but I have been attributing that to the short cook time. I'm guessing from the ingredients of the brine and rub that the results are similar.
I have definitely noticed the initial white smoke on the onset. Now that I am aware there is a difference I can watch for the different “blue” smoke specifically.

I am the type of person who gets obsessive if I can’t account/understand the behavior of the system I am working with. The question of why ash in the beginning and not anymore I guess will remain a mystery… at least for now.

I do confess that with the salmon, since the smoke is so short, I likely over did it with the amount of chips I used. But the end product came out so good! I read that the smaller the chips, like sawdust, the higher the concentration of smoke that will be produced which is why I overloaded with the actual chips. In my case, in the end, all turned to coal chips when finished.

You are in a good part of the bay area SmokinOkie. While the rest of the nation and state are baking in heat, you have the option to get close to the ocean and the temperature will drop 30 degrees to 65F in a matter of 10-15miles.
When I kept my wood chunks in a sealed container in the garage, the absorbed moisture kept them from doing anything but smoldering and left me with barely charred wood chunks. Now, before a smoke, I bring a few ounces into the (air-conditioned) house a couple of days beforehand to let them de-humidify. Result is wood chunks reduced to a beautiful white ash and plenty of beautiful pale blue smoke.
Sarge, I see your location is Arizona. That is why you will never have this problem. The spanish named the area that way for a reason. Ari-Zona or short for Arid-Zone.

JRH, I never thought about an air conditioned house. Unfortunately, me living by the pacific ocean avg temp in the summer time San Francisco fog is about 65deg & 75% humidity. Therefore, almost no houses on the coastside are fitted with air-conditioning. So I am banished to using my microwave to steam out the moisture from my wood.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.