Skip to main content

I ordered an sm066 and haven't received it yet. I live in Ct. so winters can be crappy. I'm going to be smoking all year long. I'm thinking about setting up the smoker in my basement using a small vent hood with a small fan venting outside. I don't know how smokey smelling this is going to make the basement. My wife does the laundry down there and she will let me know I screwed up if it smells too smokey, but I'm thinking about the nice 68deg. climate all year long down there, and I don't have to go out in the cold in the winter to smoke. From your experiance on how smokey they get, do you think this is a bad move putting it in the basement?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't think your wife is gonna like it - and frankly I would think you would be better building a little lean to on a back deck or porch and smoking out there. Living in Jersey I know it gets cold and snowy, you'll do ok. You won't be out there that much. Setup is a snap: line clean foil on bottom of smoker and on top of wood box, place some wood in the wood box, place your food in the smoker, fire up your smoker and go inside. A remote thermometer like a Maverick 732 can give you the temps of the smoker and food INSIDE so you don't even have to go out and check it out.

Unless you have a really very efficient hood and fan it's gonna make more than your basement smell.
quote:
Originally posted by seahunt202:
I ordered an sm066 and haven't received it yet. I live in Ct. so winters can be crappy. I'm going to be smoking all year long. I'm thinking about setting up the smoker in my basement using a small vent hood with a small fan venting outside. I don't know how smokey smelling this is going to make the basement. My wife does the laundry down there and she will let me know I screwed up if it smells too smokey, but I'm thinking about the nice 68deg. climate all year long down there, and I don't have to go out in the cold in the winter to smoke. From your experiance on how smokey they get, do you think this is a bad move putting it in the basement?

I used a set-up just like this set-up RichH came up with for three years and loved it.

http://archeryproshop.com/smoker/index.htm

Ever since I moved from Maine to Florida it is too humid to keep my CS in a shed...inside of the shed gets moldy. so I've ordered a SS CS stand/cabinet and will be changing my set-up as soon as it arrives.

I smoked in Maine year round and you really don't have to add much, if any, time to your cook for the cold weather.

You can get the shed at Sears for about 100 bucks.
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to put it outside. I do like the idea of keeping it in an enclosure like that rubbermade product, that's a nice job smokinmainiac did on that. Well, my Amerique should be here in three more days, so I've picked out a spot to put it. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!
quote:
Originally posted by seahunt202:
Hey while we're on the subject of cold weather, I'm wondering if extremely cold outside temps. will harm the electronic controller on the sm066.

I lived in Maine and zero or slightly below zero temps didn't phase the controller.

It hit 100 on the patio this summer in Florida...didn't phase the controller in the least. You just have to remember to split your wood chunks finer in high temps to get them to combust.
After receiving my sm066 and running it through it's paces, I decided the garage will be the best place to keep it. When I want to smoke something, I'll simply roll her outside and smoke away! I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for all of the advice, recipes, techniques ,and mishaps that are posted. My first meat smoke in her was a 3.75Lb. rack of spare ribs, 250deg. for 3hrs. came out superb. I can see a lot of good things happening in the future!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.