Skip to main content

Ah yes, Murphy's Law and me... perfect together.
I've been making/smoking sausage for 2 days now, everything going well.
Now I'm preparing for the big Christmas feast coming... It figures 6:30 AM Christmas eve, getting everything ready, and now I have a "Service" light on.
I called customer service, but they are off and will not available for the next few days...
I have a turkey sitting in the smoker now this very minute with the service light glowing red.
I am leaving a message for customer service to return my call, when my wife comes to me and says... "The turkey is not cooking". now I have to explain to her and my daughter why we will not have smoked turkey from my new AmeriQue smoker.

I have read prior posts and I do not have electrical problems, nor I do not have an extension cord attached to the smoker. The machine has worked flawlessly for a month now without issues. I even finished using the smoker last night smoking home made sausages. Any suggestions?
Thanks and Merry Christmas folks...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hmmmm...I owned an AQ for 2 years and don't recall a service light issue. Not even sure where the light is. A Google serch of the net turned up nothing on this issue.

Hate to say but you'll probably need to call Cookshack when they return from holiday break. They don't normally review this forum.

Good luck, let us know what you discover.
Thanks gentlemen for the info and tips.

I did cycle the on/off switch a few times.
I even unplugged and re-phugged the machine a few times.

Oh well, I guess I must wait it out for the costumer service team to return my call.

Again, Thank you for your responses.
Merry Christmas to all....
I have had the same problem. Cookshack was great, and sent me a replacement control panel, but the problem persisted. I believe this issue is related to cold temperatures; when I run a small heater adjacent to the electronic controller, the problem disappears. If I turn the heater off, the service light comes back on within a couple minutes and the smoker shuts down. I'm in northern Canada, so it's pretty cold, and the problem first occured as the temperatures began to drop.
I received a phone call from Bill the service tech earlier today. FYI: Nice folks at Cookshack.

Bill advised me he has received calls of when it is very cold outside, and since I do keep my AmeriQue outside, reports of the service light have been noted.

The cold has effected the control panel circuit electronics and a permanent fix was made by the people who make the control panel.

In the mean time, to fix the problem, you can warm the circuit control board with a hair dryer.

This trick does work, as I did try it earlier.
Just remove the screws that hold the control panel to the top of the smoker, and gently warm up the electronics circuit inside the housing.

Bill advised me, a new control panel will be sent to me when the newly updated circuit boards become available.

I feel good knowing I have reliable service standing behind the sale!!!
Damn good folks....

I sincerely hope this post will help others living in colder climates.

Again, wishing all a Merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy New year.
Add me to the list of the service light problem. I just received my new Amerique here in FL and after the first time warm up break in proceedure, the unit shut off and now I have the service light on. I got it to work with just the probe (it would not let me cook by time) so I put in my ribs for New Years Eve and the unit shut off and no matter what I tried it would not reset. Unplugged it, turned it on and off multiple times. I had to finish the ribs in the oven. I called the tech at Cookshack and they said they know they are having problems and they said a new control unit will be shipped to me that day. Great customer service. I hope this solves the problem.
Rec'd replacement Amerique control head yesterday to alleviate cold weather issues(man, it's cold out!). Will plug it in, and give it a go tomorrow. Bought maple, alder, apple, cherry and pecan chunks in NJ today, ready to go! Salmon tomorrow? Yup. Super Bowl weekend will be a meatfest.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.