Skip to main content

Hey guys and gals! FedEx freight dropped off my new AQ yesterday and I've been lurking here since before I ordered my AQ about two weeks ago.

I cleaned and seasoned the AQ according to instructions an have a question.

I am used to charcoal smoking on a Big Green Egg and when I finish smoking on the BGE I usually let the temp come up to about 500 and let it burn itself out. The effectively "cleans" the egg and grates.

On an AQ what do you all usually "clean" when done smoking? Of course the racks should be cleaned and the bottom and drip shield lined with foil before smoking but anything else? When you clean is there any product you prefer? Does anyone clean the outside of their AQ?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Aside from washing the racks and changing the foil on the bottom and roof of the wood box NO. Let the walls build up a nice patina. Gotta realize you are burning way less fuel so really you don't have all the grit, grunge and such of a stick burner. Occasionally I wipe off the outer surfaces of my SM150 but that's it. SO you doing a pork butt next ?? It's an easy job and will be a good thing to further break in your AQ

Welcome
I only clean my racks once every couple of smokes. I finally tried putting them in the dishwasher...wow, that really works. Just scrape them down beforehand and then afterwards they wipe pretty clean. Just try to get to them while they are still hot out of the washer.

Most times I just scrape them clean with a BBQ brush. Think of your gas grill, you don't clean those right? I change my foil every 2 or 3 smokes depending on how much buildup there is. I have scraped down my inside only once in my SM025. Not clean but just knocked off some of the crust.

I like you wanted to clean everything and the members here convinced me otherwise.
I received my 066 back in April '12 and haven't "cleaned" the interior yet. Just pull the foil and the racks. I do wipe down the sloping floor pan on the rare occasion some grease/drippings creep under the foil. I check before each smoke to see if there is any residue that appears to be peeling or flaking and if so will lightly brush that off with just my naked hand. That's all. No scrubbing or anything else. And enjoy your new smoker!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.