Skip to main content

Started smoking a Cookshack winning wing recipe by Scot A. Lane (Hickory Smoke Wings) by preheating the smoker. Only reason I did that was to play with my new Model ET-732 Redi Chek thermometer. I wasn't sure how to sync the receiver and transmitter so I figured a clean smoker would be the smart way to start. I was only using the temp probe, not the food probe. After the sync worked I put my wings in. This called for 1 1/2 hr cook time @ 225. Just a few minutes after starting I notice the temp dropping on my receiver. Thought the receiver was incorrectly synced so I went outside to find out our porch GFIC had tripped. I reset and went back in. Short time late the temp begins to drop again. Sure enough GFIC tripped again. This went on about 6-7 times before it seemed to stabilize. The highest the temp got was only 207. The wings continued to cook, but my temps would get down to 180, then go up, the come down no lower than 180. I assume the temp was suppose to stay consistent around 225 since it was dialed to 225 so not sure what caused the fluctuations and the tripping of our GFIC. I don't use an extension cord either.

It took just over 2 hrs to cook to 150 then I finished them in oven to 165. Recipe is awesome by the way, but way longer than called for. This is the first time I ever used a temp probe in my smoker for heat, but I have had posted several times prior questions about cook times and temps so maybe I just discovered I have an issue with my smoker. I hope I don't but I have 3 items to ponder: a faulty new thermometer, my smoker or a faulty GFIC. Does anyone have insight into my experience. Hopefully my attachments work so you can see the back of my set up.

Thanks!

Attachments

Images (1)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds pretty normal to me... (The temp swings). No way that a simple thermocouple is going to hold a steady temp. My 055 when set to 225 will cycle between 190 and 260 which averages to ... Wait for it... 225! Your setting might have been a bit lower, or maybe your dial is a bit off, but the swings are normal.

The GFIC might be due to moisture ir a worn out GFI interrupt.
Just had a problem like yours. had not used my m-045 since last fall and put a chicken and a pork loin in on the 4th then set temp and went to buy bait. came home 4 hours later to a blown GFI. called cook shack and they had me plug smoker onto a non GFI . What happened was the elliment had gathered some moisture and GFI kicked. you have to dry it out before using on a GFI. now it works fine.
I just went through a situation last month with one of my GFIs but not related to my smoking activities.

The toaster oven (less wattage than the SM025) was tripping the GFI every week or so, then it came to be every few days, then soon enough I could not plug my phone charger in it to work.

Even though the GFI was fairly new I shutoff the breaker to inspect the wiring connections. The white wire leading into the GFI had melted and deformed the connection on the back of the unit. This same condition could easily happen with a smoker. Those GFIs are expensive too at 20bucks a shot. The first one I was sent home with did not work right either. Needless to say all is right in the homeland now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.