Skip to main content

Posted January 19, 2013 12:32 PM
I have been trying to make venison sausage with my 025 smoker. Sometimes OK and sometimes not. I use a 50/50 mix with pork / vension and make my chubs in 4 inch size to speed cooking. I lay them on the top rack since the 025 is small. I just checked the temp probe and it is within a couple of degrees of the smoker probe. At first I cooked them too high and got grease out and they shrank. The last batch (6), 5 Lbs. I cooked at 170 degrees for 10 hours and the internal temp never got above 143 degrees. Door never opened. I finally stopped them and they had shrunk in the casings. Not too bad but a little dry on the outer edges. Too much moisture or not enough? I seem to have a problem of getting the internal temp to 152 without drying out the meat,shrinkage, or getting a grease out from higher temps. Help??
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome (I see you have all of THREE posts).
Let me advise you, some times on the weekend there are not a lot of folks on. SO, instead of posting two threads with the same subject matter, spend your time doing a FIND. Select and hold the FIND and enter your search arg and read some threads. Believe me someone some time has asked your question. And while you are looking for the EXACT answer you will also read other things that will enhance your general knowledge of the art, it IS an art...
In the meantime, here is a little help until you figure out the search function.

There are a bunch of variables that will cause a wrinkled casing such as understuffing, leakage, and in my mind, one of the biggest culprits, not stopping the cook cycle via an ice water bath or showering the hot sausages with very cold water upon pulling from the smoker.

I've experimented with several products getting pretty good results. Both showed a marked decrease in shrinkage and retaining moisture in the finished sausage. I find this especially important when making a venison based sausage since it is a dryer starting out.

+ Soy Protein Blend
+ Sure Gel Meat Binder to my cured sausage

I purchase both of these from Waltons, Inc., but are probably available from many of the butcher supply houses.

What cut of pork are you mixing in at a 50/50 ratio? I have made good SS mixing venison 75% to ground untrimmed pork butt at 25%.
Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.