Skip to main content

I'm starting a new thread so as not to hijack the sauce exchange posts.

When I first got on the forum I ran across several posts for fatties. Looked great so, I had to give them a try. Did an online search for techniques, recipes, etc. and came across a Boy Scout Troop in the Akron, OH area that sold "Fattie Pistons" online for about $10.00. The proceeds went to helping disadvantaged teens attend a local summer camp.

After more research, found several different styles for fattie pistons. Almost all consisted of water potable PVC pipe (hence, Padrefan, the use of PVC) I did see one design made of stainless steel. Wouldn't that be great to get in an exchange package!

These things could not be more simple.

Vicki B- here ya go---

Supplies:
1 - 7 1/2 inch piece 2 inch PVC pipe - about $1.00 locally
1- 8-10 inch 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe - about $1.00 locally
2- 1 1/4 inch PVC caps - about $0.89 each locally

sand the burrs off the ends of the PVC pipe
wash all pieces in soapy water before using
Place the caps on the ends of the 1 1/4 inch pipe and you're ready to go. I did not use any glue, so the ends can be removed for cleaning. I throw mine in the dishwasher for ease of cleaning.

http://www.fattiepistons.blogspot.com has great pics for how to use the fattie piston. The only other thing I've found (from another forum entry) is to put the sausage in a one gallon zip-lock bag to flatten-it's the perfect size for a fattie and no mess. When you have your fattie square rolled out just cut the sides of the plastic bag and flip over on to your bacon.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Oh Que, your the best. Thanks so much. I googled it when I was told to the other day....I found the same page for the boys camp and was gonna order one, but could not find a way to ask them questions. Their piston looked more narrow so I was hesitant to order.

Thanks so much for the measurements. I am gonna have hubby make one. I can, but he knows where all his tools are!
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
I found the same page for the boys camp and was gonna order one, but could not find a way to ask them questions. Their piston looked more narrow so I was hesitant to order.

Vicki, I thought the same thing. They might be using the 1 1/4 inch pipe for the cylinder. I looked at that and didn't think it was nearly adequate, that's why I went with the 2 inch pipe. BTW- have hubby cut 2 or 3 pieces of the 2 inch pipe for you. That way you can make several fatties at the same time .

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.