Skip to main content

Next time you are wonderng what's for lunch while your Cookshack smoker is busy cooking your dinner, why not put some hot dogs in for a real treat. I know hot dogs are not the most glamorous of foods to smoke, but they are really quite tasty when smoked. I put them in my FEC for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Don't know if they need to sit there that long, but they can't get too done in my humble opinion. You can always use a temp probe to see if propery warmed-up yet.
Alas I must also confess I have fired-up the smoker just to do hot dogs for chili dogs. I like using the bigger 1/4 lb hot dogs as they don't fall thru the grill spaces as easily. Happy munching!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I love my Cookshack, but the only way to make a hot dog is Chicago Style.

Ingredients:

All beef hot dogs - In Chicago all the good stands use Vienna All beef dogs, but you should be able to use any good All Beef dog with a natural casing.
Poppy Seed bun
Yellow Mustard
Green Pickle Relish
Chopped white or yellow onion
Tomato slices or wedges
Pickle spear
Celery salt
sport peppers (pretty spicy)
Sauerkraut

Start with a pot of water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium, place however many hotdogs you'll be cooking in the water. Cook for about 15-20 minutes til hot, you can't over cook them. Meanwhile steam your poppy seed buns. You can cheat by microwaving them, but steaming is better.

Put your dog together.. Place dog in bun, add about a tablespoon each of: yellow mustard, pickle relish and onion. Add pickle spear, 2 - 3 tomato slices/wedges and a good shake of celery salt. Optional, you can add a few sport peppers and some sauerkraut, some places have them, some don't. You can omit items you don't care for, I omit the pickle relish, but you can never ever add ketchup! You may even be forcibly removed from some Chicago hot dog stands if you even ask for ketchup.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.